To add aspell functionality to the HTML editor:
- Install aspell and dictionary using Win32 install directions. I preferred using c:\progra~1\aspell as the path instead of c:\aspell. Leaving spaces in the path will probably not work.
- In Windows (i.e. lusrmgr.msc) create a Moodle user account and remove User privileges.
- Set permissions on the c:\progra~1\aspell folder (files and subfolders) to allow the Moodle account read and execute.
- Add read and execute privileges to CMD.EXE in the system32 folder for the Moodle user.
- Using IIS's Internet Service Manager, locate your site and the Moodle folders, change the security authentication from anonymous user to the Moodle user and set its password for the following folders:
- In Moodle's Configuration, Editor settings, change the aspellpath to C:\progra~1\aspell\bin\aspell.exe and set editorspelling to Yes and set your language.
- Test using an editable page on your site. If you have used the editor before, you may need to press Ctrl-F5 (in firefox and IE) to completely reload the editor. (Or restart your browser)
Before adding read/execute privileges to CMD.EXE I was seeing the 'Couldn't create handle!' error on the Editor settings page. I did not have to add anything to the system path or change any registry settings.