Ressource window shows moodle site instead doc-file

Ressource window shows moodle site instead doc-file

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I can't explain this effect. In the resource windows i see a moodle site and not the doc file which I want see. I have the same effect with a ppt.file but not with a pdf-file from the same place.
Attachment fehler01.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Ressource window shows moodle site instead doc-file

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I believe this is related to the same IE/Office/Embedding bug discussed many times in these forums.   IE is trying to run the Office document embedded within the browser (rather than opening Word) but somehow it isn't sending the session cookie to Moodle, so Moodle redirects to the login page. 

It's definitely an IE bug - you can fix it by turning off the embedding feature ... offhand I can't remember the registry settings you need to change - perhaps someone else can look that up.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
That's right. I tried now with IE 5.5 and there are no problems. Thanks

by thierry reygnier -
Hello,

What do you think to insert a small icon cloe of a ressource name to directly save the resource on local hard drive ? It will be a good way to avoid IE problem ?

Thanks you

In reply to thierry reygnier

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's probably a better idea to convert your files to a more web-friendly and cross-platform format anyway.

Powerpoint -> Flash

Word, Excel -> HTML

by Timothy Takemoto -

I looked but I could not find the registry settings to force IE to open word documents in Word (and not a browser window). There is a way of setting the browser to open word documents in word as explained here.

But both of these client side solutions are fraught because
1) My students find even the simplest operations difficult (changing the registry would be beyond them, changing the settings of IE a major adventure)
2) The computers at university are designed so at best settings are restored when the user logs of off, at worst the settings cannot be changed at all.

These articles at
experts-exchange
experts-exchange

microsoft support

pointed to a sycophantic solution which I have implemented here

http://www.nihonbunka.com/doc.htm

<HTML>
   <HEAD>
   <SCRIPTxxxVBScript>
   Dim objWord
   Sub Btn1_onclick()
   call OpenDoc("http://www.nihonbunka.com/moodle_is_wonderful.doc")
   End Sub

Sub OpenDoc(strLocation)

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
   objWord.Visible = true
   objWord.Documents.Open strLocation
   End Sub

</SCRIPT>
   <TITLE>Launch Word</Title>
   </HEAD>
   <BODY>
   <INPUT TYPE=BUTTON NAME=Btn1 VALUE="Open Word Doc">
   </BODY>
</HTML>

If I could add the script to my theme's headers then this might be a solution but I do not know how to pass a URL from the button. There is someone asking and answering this question here but he acheives it by dimensioning a variable. It would be nice just to pass the URL to the visual basic subroutine.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks for those links. For reference, the client-side fix is:

1. Launch Windows Explorer.
  2. From the View menu, select Options("Folder Options" if Internet Explorer 4.0 is installed).
  3. From the Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.
  4. From the listing of "Registered File Types," select "Microsoft Word Document," and click Edit.
  5. From the Edit File Type screen, clear the "Browse in same window" check box, which toggles whether a Word document is launched outside of Internet Explorer.
  6. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

The server-side fix will apparently bomb if the user doesn't have Office so I'm wary of it.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

I found the effect only on PC's with two different Office. One Client had MS Office and OpenOffice activ. After deinstalling the autostart of openoffice the problems are gone.