It's definitely an IE bug - you can fix it by turning off the embedding feature ... offhand I can't remember the registry settings you need to change - perhaps someone else can look that up.
What do you think to insert a small icon cloe of a ressource name to directly save the resource on local hard drive ? It will be a good way to avoid IE problem ?
I looked but I could not find the registry settings to force IE to open word documents in Word (and not a browser window). There is a way of setting the browser to open word documents in word as explained here.
But both of these client side solutions are fraught because
1) My students find even the simplest operations difficult (changing the registry would be beyond them, changing the settings of IE a major adventure)
2) The computers at university are designed so at best settings are restored when the user logs of off, at worst the settings cannot be changed at all.
pointed to a sycophantic solution which I have implemented here
Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
objWord.Visible = true
<INPUT TYPE=BUTTON NAME=Btn1 VALUE="Open Word Doc">
If I could add the script to my theme's headers then this might be a solution but I do not know how to pass a URL from the button. There is someone asking and answering this question here but he acheives it by dimensioning a variable. It would be nice just to pass the URL to the visual basic subroutine.
- Launch Windows Explorer.
- From the View menu, select Options("Folder Options" if Internet Explorer 4.0 is installed).
- From the Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.
- From the listing of "Registered File Types," select "Microsoft Word Document," and click Edit.
- From the Edit File Type screen, clear the "Browse in same window" check box, which toggles whether a Word document is launched outside of Internet Explorer.
- Click OK to close the dialog boxes.
The server-side fix will apparently bomb if the user doesn't have Office so I'm wary of it.
I found the effect only on PC's with two different Office. One Client had MS Office and OpenOffice activ. After deinstalling the autostart of openoffice the problems are gone.