Cutting and pasting from Word = Arrggggghh! Better solutions anyone?

Cutting and pasting from Word = Arrggggghh! Better solutions anyone?

by Kevin Audleman -
Number of replies: 5
I am having an incredibly difficult time cutting and pasting from Word documents into the HTML editor in Moodle and ending up with something acceptable. The list of problems is too long to get into here and is all due to Word not producing good HTML. No fault on Moodle's side.

My school asks their teachers to develop their syllabi in Word. My question is, is there another program out there we could get them to use that would produce HTML compliant output? Something where we could give them a syllabi template and they could fill in the rest in a Word-like manner. Bonus points if it had the versioning/co-authoring markup features of Word, which our faculty use as a core part of syllabus building.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Kevin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Audleman

Re: Cutting and pasting from Word = Arrggggghh! Better solutions anyone?

by Ray Lawrence -
No bonus points for me, but have alook at Coursegenie. Create in Word, a couple of clicks to output nice HTML plus lots of additional options (not the ones you mention though).

by Steve Garcia -
OpenOffice produces fair HTML (not great, but orders of magnitude better than Word.)  It has a very Word-like interface, and can read and write Word files. 

I don't know if it supports the versioning/co-authoring features you'd like.
In reply to Steve Garcia

by Randy Orwin -
OpenOffice does support versioning within the same document. 

I am assuming that the co-authoring features you are looking for are track changes, comments etc...  These too are supported in OpenOffice.  To track changes by name you just have to make sure that those editing the document have configured the "User Data" area in the options section.  To turn on the track changes feature go to edit->changes->record.  To set the parameters for changes go to: tools->options->OpenOffice.org writer->changes.

We just adopted OpenOffice.org in our district and are just beginning the training and conversion process.

by Svetlin Stoyanov -
Hi Kevin,
Try "save as ...", "save as type": "web page, filtered" and use html file.
S.