still having some file issues

still having some file issues

by Boyd Mitchell -
Number of replies: 3

I don't really understand what is going on with this.  I am getting some inconsistent issues with files.

Some teachers are getting this error message:

<meta http-equiv='refresh' content='0; url=http://popeye.lethsd.ab.ca/moodlelci/login/index.php'>;

when they try to upload zipped files into moodle, unzip them in moodle, and then link them using resources.

Unfortunately it is not a consistent issue.  It appears on some machines trying to open the resourced file, and not on others.

Uploading single files and linking them using resources works fine, we only see this issue with files that have been zipped (for mass uploads) and then uploaded into moodle, unzipped inside of moodle and then linked

Also, if the teacher tries to open the files in resources... it works fine.  It only appears to be a problem when they link them using ADD / Resources.

If any one has ANY ideas... please please let me know.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Boyd Mitchell

Re: still having some file issues

by Boyd Mitchell -
Anyone ?
In reply to Boyd Mitchell

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Are they always Microsoft Office files? 

If so this is a well-known bug in some versions of IE and the way it embeds documents.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Boyd Mitchell -

oh ok.  thanks Martin.  Do you know of any fixes for this?  I'll check microsofts web site.

This is good to know.  I think what I'll do next is, give the teachers the option to install OpenOffice.  Then that should solve that problem.  right?

Another question tho.  I also recently noticed that those same files that were uploaded into moodle using the, zip folder with files in it and unzip in moodle method, could not be renamed.  I recieved another error message... in moodle.  That's the other reason I thought it was a zipping issue.  And again, it was only an issue with the files that had been uploaded in a folder that was zipped and unzipped inside of moodle.

Anyway, I'll try and duplicate the issue again so I can post the exact error message.  I really appreciate all your help Martin.  Thanks.

I also thought you might like to know that after the first release of moodle into our district (November 2003), moodle has expanded unbelievably.  We started with two schools using their own installation of moodle, we asked 6 teachers at each school to help with testing moodle until the end of the school year (until June 2004).  Since then we now have almost 50 teachers using moodle with all of their courses.  Each of them has asked to be part of moodle because they see how wonderful moodle is, how much their students love using moodle, and how beneficial it is to both themselves and their students.  This has all been within 4 months.

There are now other schools in our district who have seen what we have done with moodle and want to get moodle working with their own schools.  We have also been approached by other school districts, interested in learning more about moodle.

Anyway, just thought you'd like to know that.  Thanks for everything Martin.