SCORM

Unable to find an API Adapter error message

Picture of Mads Gorm Larsen
Unable to find an API Adapter error message

Hi

When I load my Scorm object in moodle, and try to run the course, I get this "Unable to find an API Adapter".

If I run the Scorm in the Reload Scorm player, I do not get any errors.

Moodle is 1.6, and I have made the SCORM with Saba publisher / lectora, then I have run it through Reloader Editor the structure of the course.

Best regards

Mads

Average of ratings: -
Picture of jack chang
Re: Unable to find an API Adapter error message

I think you need to check the APIWrapper.js, and make sure to look for API in current window's parents and opener windows. There might be several opener windows until the Scorm object is launched. 

Picture of Mads Gorm Larsen

Thanks for the suggestions, I get the same error wether I open in new window og in the same window. (Which is an iframe i moodle)

I do not get this API object thing, but in APIWrapper.js i find the following.

/*******************************************************************************
** Function getAPI()
** Inputs:  none
** Return:  If an API object is found, it's returned, otherwise null is returned
** Description:
** This function looks for an object named API, first in the current window's
** frame hierarchy and then, if necessary, in the current window's opener window
** hierarchy (if there is an opener window).
*******************************************************************************/
function getAPI()
{
   var theAPI = findAPI(window);
   if ((theAPI == null) && (window.opener != null) && (typeof(window.opener) != "undefined"))
   {
      theAPI = findAPI(window.opener);
   }
   if ((theAPI == null) && (parent.window != null) && (parent.window.opener != null) && (typeof(parent.window.opener) != "undefined"))
   {
      theAPI = findAPI(parent.window.opener);
   }
   if (theAPI == null)
   {
      alert("Unable to find an API adapter");
   }
   return theAPI
}

Picture of Andrew Duval

Have you tested alternate browsers? An API error can result from javascript handling errors, and browsers are a likely source.

Your operating environment might also impact on the way that javascript is handled, but my understanding about all that is murky.

I imagine that if your module runs fine in Reload then the problem is not with the API itself - either at the Moodle or at the SCORM end.

You should test a non-Lectora SCO anyway, to make sure SOMETHING works - but just because one SCO works doesn't mean another will. (Which makes you wonder what the point of having a standard is, but that's another story...)

Picture of Claude Ostyn

The SCORM test suite is your friend. If the LMS passes the SCORM test suite and the SCO passes the SCORM test suite there is a 99% probability that they will work together. The problems come from people cutting corners or "tweaking" the implementation to fit some older, non-standard implementation. Some of the API search ideas implemented in some generic scripts found in various tools do not follow the standard API discovery algorithm.  I suggest that you try your SCO in the latest version of the test suite first. If that works, I suggest you try to run a "known good" SCORM package or build one with a "known good" SCO to check whether there is a runtime environment problem.

Picture of katy lilley

I have the same problem with a lectora course - when I hit the end assessment page and the quiz results come up it tells me it cannot find the api! In my SCORM wrapper it works fine with no areas. If this a problem with moodle?

Picture of Will Jordan

I Have the same problem with SCORM; but only in my server Linux; if my server is Windows Local this run ok; someone know why?. Tk.

Will

Picture of Dan Marsden

Picture of Will Jordan

Hello Dan;

I have moodle 1.9.4 (server windows and Linux); The course scorm was downloaded of http://www.guadalinex.org/cursos/mod/resource/view.php?id=390 Open Office Avanzado and Basico. When I restore it is OK (Linux and Windows) but when I open the SCORM activity paq appear this error only of my server Linux (Debian) sad ; in my server windows its open OK. I dont know what happen its the same version Moodl sad

Thankyou very much for your help.

Will

PD. Excuseme, my english is very bad; I hope that its understanding