Marking Block not registering submitted assignments

Marking Block not registering submitted assignments

by Devi Spring -
Number of replies: 6

Hi-

I just installed (after a bit of difficulty) the marking block. Everything appears to be running normally, no errors or anything. However, today I went through the site class-by-class just to double-check that no assignments had been submitted, and I found that several assignments had been turned in but the marking block had not alerted me to it.

These assignments were actually journals, I don't know if that makes any difference, or if I need to go into the block and set it up to show me when journals are submitted. The majority of the work I assign my students are journals. Is this going to be a problem? Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks,

~Devi~

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devi Spring

Re: Marking Block not registering submitted assignments

by Bruno Vernier -
I just checked:  journal activities are not reported when first submitted but when re-submitted they show up in the marking block

thanks, Devi, for submitting this bug report.  I will work on  it this week

meanwhile, (this could help me) can you report what the "bit of difficulty" was when you installed the marking block?
In reply to Bruno Vernier

by Devi Spring -

Thanks for working on that!

The "difficulty" was just the errors that I got when I first installed it and configured it to monitor my courses. Some of the courses did not currently have students and it was causing errors to appear. The updated .php file which you provided me fixed that error and now everything is running smoothly - other than the journal assignment bug.

~Devi~

In reply to Devi Spring

by Bruno Vernier -
it turns out that this is not a bug.  There is a configuration setting in this block called: $CFG->block_marking_listnum .  Thanks to you, I am now much more familiar with the source code smile

set $CFG->block_marking_listnum = (some number other than the default 2)  via the admin / configureation /blocks / marking / settings menu (the default is to show two activites needing marking per section (unmarked / resubmitted / unsubmitted.)

set it to a higher number to avoid the illusion that not all items are shown "to be marked"

alternatively, if you already have 2 items under "unmarked", you will see a "more" button.  Clicking on that will lead to an expanded page with way too much detail but there you can see the items missing in the tiny block

The reason I reported that I could not see journals to be marked but I could see journals to be re-marked, is that the section "to be marked" was already filled with two forums needing to be marked (so the journal being third did not show up in that area) but only a journal activity needed to be re-marked

I hope i made sense.  The quick version to solving your issue is to set the configuration variable to something like 5 or 10 to be sure this won't confuse your users ... or to educate them about the "More" button

I updated the moodledocs to reflect this knowledge smile
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Marking_block

by Devi Spring -

Ok. I went into the config for the block. My default was set to 0, which the thing said "0 means unlimited". I changed it to 5.

I don't have any more submitted assignments, so I logged into my "test student" account and made a journal entry into one of the classes, then logged out and back in again as admin.

I still did not see any notification of a journal assignment having been turned in.

Any other ideas, or a different number that I should put into that box?

Thanks,

~Devi~

In reply to Devi Spring

by Bruno Vernier -
do you see the "More" button?  and does that lead to a page showing your journal to be marked (among many other things) ?

can you send me via email a course backup?  I cannot fix a bug which I don't have ... since it becomes purely an arm-waving exercise smile If you prefer, create a new course with one student and one journal, make student submit one journal, verify it still does not show up in marking block, and then send me that course backup so I can see if I get the same error.  Also it might help to let me know the version of moodle you are using (and i know you are using block_marking 1.6a)

by Devi Spring -

Sure, I will email the file for one of my classes.

I'm not seeing any "more" button ANYWHERE.

I created a new class, logged in as a student and made a journal entry. In THAT marking block, I was alerted to the new submitted assignment when I logged back in as admin. So I logged back in as the student and made a journal entry in an existing course, and then logged out; when I logged back in as admin, there was no notification that an assignment had been submitted in that class.

Do I need to remove the existing marking blocks and then re-add them to make the change reflect in the existing courses or something?

I'll send the backup of the new test course, and an existing course.

Thanks,

~Devi~