Anomaly in discussion in this forum

Anomaly in discussion in this forum

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
回帖数:20

Martin,

After I posted my latest announcement, I was returned to the top level of this forum and noticed that the discussion Test version of TeX filter for moodle.org showed that the latest post in that discussion was on Feb. 16, 2pm.  However, when I look at that discussion, the latest post I find there is your post http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5228#24392 dated Feb 14, 6:52am.

Zig

回复Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Re: Anomaly in discussion in this forum

Martin Dougiamas -
Core developers的头像 Documentation writers的头像 Moodle HQ的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Testers的头像
This can happen when someone adds a post and then deletes it again (and according to the logs this is exactly what happened in this case).
回复Martin Dougiamas

Franz Horvath -

Mea culpa!

First I tried to test the filter at my linux hoster, without succuss. Then I tested it in this forum, without success too. So I deleted my posting. ... Sorry!

I am a newby in using such textparser to convert text in math symbols. After overfly a short faq for TeX, I thought it is ok to enclose the math-expression in /(.../) to start the TeX-parser.

How can I use these filters?

回复Franz Horvath

Martin Dougiamas -
Core developers的头像 Documentation writers的头像 Moodle HQ的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Testers的头像
Basically, just enclose the TeX code within two dollar signs.

$$$ x^2 $$$   ===>    $$ x^2 $$
回复Martin Dougiamas

basic use of filters

Franz Horvath -

In my variables I have these filters:

filter/algebra/algebra_filter.php
filter/tex/tex_filter.php
mod/glossary/dynalink.php

Neither the algebra nor the tex-filter seem to be working right.Whats wrong?

回复Franz Horvath

Re: basic use of filters

Nicolas Martignoni -
Core developers的头像 Documentation writers的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Testers的头像 Translators的头像
Did you, like me at my first try, forget the commas between the different filters?

Just try this in your variables:

filter/algebra/algebra_filter.php,filter/tex/tex_filter.php,mod/glossary/dynalink.php
回复Nicolas Martignoni

Franz Horvath -
Thank you very much! Now the filter seems to start his work, but I cant see the produced gif! It is missing. 伤心
回复Franz Horvath

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Right click on the missing picture icon and choose "Properties".  Copy the URL from the information window.  Then go to that URL directly.  You may get a more informative error message.
回复Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Franz Horvath -

http://online-lernen.rieger-hs.ac.at/filter/tex/pix.php/c6095277ed8b7f21992a555fa2d19462.gif

spends me an "image not found"-error. Clear for me! I have no directory .../pix.php/

伤心

回复Franz Horvath

Nicolas Martignoni -
Core developers的头像 Documentation writers的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Testers的头像 Translators的头像
Does your server support "slasharguments"?

Try to select the other (second) option for this parameter of your variables page.
回复Nicolas Martignoni

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Nicolas,

Changing the subject slightly, could you recompile mimeTeX yet again from the latest sources?  This time without making any changes.  John Forkosh has made some changes in mimeTeX, which makes it unnecessary to set the query pointer to NULL. Sorry for the trouble.

Zig

回复Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Nicolas Martignoni -
Zig,

Here it is 眨眼 I've tested it and it works correctly on my Mac OS X server 10.3.2.

Sorry for the wrong pointer to Franz 脸红

Nicolas
回复Franz Horvath

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Clear for me! I have no directory .../pix.php/

No, that's not the problem.  This is a special  url syntax which tells the script pix.php to look for a file in a special subdirectory filter/tex  in your Moodle data directory.  And I did check that your web server understands this syntax [so there is no reason to change your slasharguements like Nicolas suggested] and that the script pix.php has created the subdirectories filter and tex.  So what is happening is that your mimetex binary executable is not working.

There are several possibilities:

1. What operating system is running on your server?  Mimetex executables are only provided for Linux OS kernel versions 2.4 and up, Windows, and MacOS X.  If you have some other operating system, you will need to compile mimetex from the C sources provided at the mimetex home site at: http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html.   If you do have a recent version  of Linux, log into a shell prompt on your server, go to your moodle/filter/tex directory and type the command "./mimetex.linux".  You should get an ascii test pattern in response.
  2. The mimetex executable may have the wrong permissions.  You need to run the command "chmod 555 mimetex.linux" to give execute and read permissions required for the web server to be allowed to run the mimetex program.
回复Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Franz Horvath -

My hoster runs a linux.2.4.20.

Running the command "./mimetex.linux" produces following error: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by ./mimetex.linux)

Is there a workaround or have I to ask my hoster to install this library?

回复Franz Horvath

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
It would probably be simpler to recompile mimetex.linux from the C sources at: http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html
回复Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Franz Horvath -
How can I recompile mimetex.linux, if only my website-hoster, not me, is using Linux? Hmm! Shall I ask the hoster to do this? I have to hope he will do this! I am only one client from about 6000 clients, who are using this server! sad
回复Franz Horvath

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Download the sources using the following link: http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.zip Upload it to your moodle/filter/tex directory. Open a shell terminal window and go into that directory. Then type the following sequence of commands:

unzip mimetex.zip
gcc -DAA mimetex.c gifsave.c -lm -o mimetex.linux
chmod a+rx mimetex.linux
回复Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Franz Horvath -

>  gcc -DAA mimetex.c gifsave.c -lm -o mimetex.linux

Great! Up to this time I did only little works, like chmod, etc., in a shell. I didnt know that I have the right to start a compiler in a shell.

Thank you very much for your help! This was the solution! Now TeX works excellent on my site!

greetings from Austria,

Franz