Version error?

Version error?

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 13
Hi,
I was just trying to get hotpot to work (I was getting a submit button in my old version) so I downloaded hotpot from the moodle/modules area. Uploaded it to my site, removed my old hotpot (which worked fine with 1.5 but now I've upgraded to 1.6 - unfortunately I forgot to check if pre-existing quizes were working okay, I was working on a new quiz).

Anyway, now I get this error:

Module "hotpot" (2006083101) could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (currently you are using 2006050510, you need 2006080900).

Please help if you can ;(
cheers
Mandy
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: Version error?

by mandy honeyman -
Okay I edited the version.php file according to previous instructions and the tables were updated.... now I get this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_coursemodule_from_id() in /hsphere/local/home/madmkh/lvc.org/mod/hotpot/view.php on line 15

when either running an old quiz or trying to start a new one.

Sorry.

It would be worrying if the download file in the moodle/modules was actually a development version for moodle 1.7. Please tell me it's the stable version for 1.6.x?

cheers
Mandy

by mandy honeyman -
Now I'm just making it worse, because having installed the hotpot for v1.7 (for pete's sake, why are the files for moodle development versions the default download files and accessible for the world who should, if they are in their right minds, be using 1.6.x stable for their production sites --- angry)..

anyway - Gordon this isn't your fault, I'm just incredibly frustrated having broken hotpot which was working!!!!

Anyway, now I'm getting this message:

Version mismatch: hotpot can't downgrade 2006083101 -> 2006080701 !

I had copied up the version for 1.6.2 (even though this appears also to not be a "stable" version yet), I changed the version control in that one too (after getting another version mismatch message), hoping that a .# version change wouldn't kill anything.

So now, it appears I can't go back and will have to re-install the 1.7 version and rely on you all to make it backwardly compatible.

I realise that my mistake (arguably) was to download the version from the module download page in order to try to fix a trivial problem! But now all our hotpot quizes (and we are using quite alot spread over different departments) are unusable.

Acchhhh I am so frustrated sad.

cheers
Mandy

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Mandy,
hopefully it's just the "get_coursemodule_from_id" function.

I will try a little tweak and upload a solution here soon.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Gordon,
Thanks so much, who needs to get up on a Sunday to this sleepy?

I also followed a thread that Petr was sorting out http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=53037#242143

And am in the process of upgrading everything to 1.6.1+ ( which is actually 1.6.2 - don't get me started again on naming things black eye in download).

Anyway, even though I may have damaged hotpot, I do need to make sure everything else is okay. But I am worried about this error message:

cheers
Mandy

by mandy honeyman -
Yup it's just come up again on v1.6.1+ upgrade

And it looks like the situation is even worse because I can't get upgrade past this error.

sad

cheers
Mandy

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello again Mandy,
thanks for the link to Petr's thread

You are using the HotPot module from Modole 1.7, right? I have attached two modified files for that version of the HotPot module: lib.php and version.php. Please put them in your "mod/hotpot" folder and then login as Moodle admin and visit the "admin" page.

> who needs to get up on a Sunday to this
I'm just going to bed actually smile

cheers
Gordon

by mandy honeyman -
Sorry Gordon, I'm getting terribly confused now.

If I use any hotpot v1.7 files I would get the version mismatch error because my site is v1.6.1+(2) now wouldn't I? I can't upgrade whole site to v1.7 because it's a production site. (Or could I just upgrade hotpot to v1.7 now that I'm running v1.6.1+(2)?)

Current situation: I now have v1.6.1+ hotpot files temporarily moved out of my mod directory because I couldn't finish upgrade. And I was getting the error:

I'm so sorry for keeping you up wink but thank you for helping.

cheers
Mandy

by Gordon Bateson -
Because you tried to install the HotPot from Moodle 1.7 on your Moodle 1.6 site you have modified the HotPot tables and you will now be unable to use the HotPot for Moodle 1.6. Therefore you need to put the HotPot from Moodle 1.7 into your "mod/hotpot" folder and then replace the "lib.php" and "version.php" with the two files in the zip I posted earlier.

Gordon

by mandy honeyman -
Okay, I've copied back up to my site the 1.7 hotpot version and install was fine (table created). This is with the files below replaced into directory.

When I call up an old hotpot quiz or try to create a new one I now get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_context_instance() in /hsphere/local/home/madmkh/lvc.org/mod/hotpot/view.php on line 38

by Gordon Bateson -
I'm sorry, the modules in Moodle 1.7 are very incompatible with Moodle 1.6, because of the new "roles" functionality. Therefore it would be a lot of work to make HotPot for Moodle 1.7 compatiable with Moodle 1.6 (or less). I will have to try and think of an exit strategy for you. Can you go to a backup?

by mandy honeyman -
Possibly but it will be a bit tricky. I have db backups from v1.5.4, so I would probably have to see if I could extract the hotpot tables from those and then only import those tables (yuck).

And then see what happens with the current 1.6.1+(2) upgrading those out of date hotpot tables.

Humm.

I think you should go onto bed sleepy, I can't see myself facing this one today (it was supposed to be a quickie quiz resource I was creating in the first place mixed).
cheers
Mandy

by Gordon Bateson -
Sorry. I could sort it out if you can give me access to your Moodle database. If you want to do that please email me: gordon at kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp.

Switching to unconcious mode for 10 hours or so ...
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Mandy,
thank you very much for sending me the access information. I have modified your Moodle database, so that it is back to how it should be in order for the install of the HotPot module for Moodle 1.6 to work.

Please now do the following:
  1. download the HotPot module for Moodle 1.6 from here:
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/hotpot-module.2.1.x.zip replace your current "mod/hotpot" folder with the files in the above zip. There is no need to move across the "lang" and "pix" folders included in the above zip file.login as administrator to your Moodle sitepoint your browser at the "admin/index.php" page on your Moodle siteThe install should be short and successful.

good luck!
Gordon

For reference, here are the MySQL commands I used to reset the HotPot tables and settings in your Moodle database:

## remove "md5key" field and index from "hotpot_questions" table
ALTER TABLE `mdl_hotpot_questions` DROP INDEX `hotpot_questions_md5key_idx`;
ALTER TABLE `mdl_hotpot_questions` DROP `md5key`;

## remove "md5key" field and index from "hotpot_strings" table
ALTER TABLE `mdl_hotpot_strings` DROP INDEX `hotpot_strings_md5key_idx`;
ALTER TABLE `mdl_hotpot_strings` DROP `md5key`;

## adjust version number for HotPot module
UPDATE `mdl_modules` SET `version` = '2006080700' WHERE `name` = 'hotpot';