Red Hat Enterprise 9
This happens ONLY in my responses in the Journal module:
1. I write a response and use a contraction.
2. I "save all feedback".
3. Apostrophe comes back with slash before apostrophe.
4. If I log out and log back in, the slash disappears.
5. I have to delete slashes from each post. When I re-save, one slash shows up. When I log out and log back in and view my posts, the slash is gone. If I don't manually remove the slashes, when I resave it adds more slashes in front of the apostrophe.
6. This only happens on MY replies in the Journal module, not in students' posts, or in any other module.
We have magic_quotes_gpc set to On,and magic_quotes_runtime set to Off.
Anybody have any ideas????
Hopefully somebody with more experience and insight will take up the challenge here.
I've noticed that the slash before the apostrophe is essential in php to preserve the syntax. I imagine your problem is related. Slashes are being inserted to preserve syntax.
The use of single quotes (or apostrophes) and double quotes ("...") as syntax delimiters in programing languages has been a plague to making a normal usage of apostrophes and double quotes in normal text ever since the early days of programing.
However, there are workarounds, and here is a simple one for getting rid of those backslashes.
In Moodle 1.6+
In file \mod\journal\report.php, line 86 replace
$entrybyuser[$entry->userid]->comment = $vals['c'];
$entrybyuser[$entry->userid]->comment = stripslashes($vals['c']);
I've posted bug report MDL-6505
Did that help at all? Did you try it?
First, thank you to those who responded. Your suggestion did fix the issue. Sorry I didn't post the resolution.
All the best, and many thanks again,