how to save chat session

how to save chat session

by john zhang -
Number of replies: 4

sorry this seems an old question.

But i went to configuration, and then module, there is no place to set up recording session of the chat rooms, and i'm loosing all talks on my chat sessions.

sorry this might be so easy a question, but still please help me with your wisdom and knowledge......

Average of ratings: -
In reply to john zhang

Re: how to save chat session

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi John, it is NOT under the configuration => module => chat => settings

It is actually one of the options when you created a new chat activity as an instructor (or admin) inside of a course, then you will see this option "Save past sessions." I have also included a screenshot as a quick FYI.
Attachment chat_screenshot.png
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Zachary Baiel -
However, when is the chat session actually saved? I'm testing my sever and have tried various settings for the "Save past sessions" option (30 days, never delete, etc) and every time I go to the "View past chat sesssions" link, there is nothing listed.

Any ideas?
In reply to Zachary Baiel

by Tony Hursh -
Are you trying it with more than one user? If I remember correctly, nothing is saved unless there's more than one person in the room (I assume this was done to keep the logs from being cluttered by people popping in out of curiosity, then popping back out).

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Zachary Baiel -
Tony,

How right you are! I just chatted with two different users and it saved the session. Great! Thank you very much. That feature makes sense now that it has come to my attention. I will update the documentation in the Moodle wiki to reflect this new found information.

Thanks again.