Beating a Dead Horse.... Selling Moodle as part of a Package.

Beating a Dead Horse.... Selling Moodle as part of a Package.

by Chris Fry -
Number of replies: 3

I know that this question has been asked many times...many different ways...but I  need to aks for myself the following.

I will be creating an online education system for a client:

Moodle will be the method of delivery.

The client knows that it is Moodle.

The courses are custom made using Power Point and Flash.

The moodle code will stay intact except for some theme changes.

We are providing the hardware and equipment.

We are also providing 3yrs of support.

Is this legal for us to do .... can we use the moodle application to deliver the content?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Fry

Re: Beating a Dead Horse.... Selling Moodle as part of a Package.

by Chris Embree -
Hmmm.... I am not a lawyer... I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express either.

Seems to me, that you are selling something other than Moodle.
Selling Moodle Support is certainly allowed.

I think spending a few bucks with an attorney to review the license would do you much more good than asking here.

$0.02.
In reply to Chris Fry

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Legal in what sense?

Are you asking if the Moodle license allows you to sell this service. If so, categorically yes.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can charge people for running courses using moodle and you can charge people for offering consultancy for running and or hosting material on moodle. You can do it go for it. (I sell subscriptions to courses I run using the Moodle platform)

There are limitations on using the term Moodle for promoting some services such as consultancy, hosting etc but apart from that caveat you are in the clear and fine and dandy. (If you want to know more about that do a search on recent postings on the keyword trademark)