Why would a backup go from 100Mb to 1.2Gb?

Why would a backup go from 100Mb to 1.2Gb?

by Jacob Kier -
Number of replies: 8
Hello everyone,

Anyone have any suggestions as to why my MySQL Moodle database dump would go from 18Mb one day to 102Mb the next then to 1.2Gb the next (and growing since them)?  It's been almost 2 weeks since it happened so I'm not sure what (if any) changes where made to Moodle itself around that time.  It was around that time that I upgraded to Moodle 1.6 but I don't know the exact date.  But, I know that no major changes were made to any courses (like large file uploads) during that time.

Thanks!
Jacob
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacob Kier

Re: Why would a backup go from 100Mb to 1.2Gb?

by Jacob Kier -
In case it helps, here is the line I'm running to backup the database:

mysqldump -C -Q -e -a moodle > "/var/moodledata/databaseBackup/filename"

Jacob
In reply to Jacob Kier

by N Hansen -
Do you have the detailed stats on? In 1.6 it has a bug and increases the size of your db ridiculously. If this is the case, you need to go shut it off in your admin panel and then go into the database and purge the tables containing the data.
In reply to N Hansen

by Jacob Kier -
> Do you have the detailed stats on?

I guess not... where/how do I turn them on?

> If this is the case, you need to go shut it off in your admin panel and then go
> into the database and purge the tables containing the data.

I'm afraid that is probably what it is.  What's the process to purge the tables?  How do I know which ones, what to delete, etc.?

Thanks!
Jacob
In reply to Jacob Kier

by N Hansen -
Admin->Variables->Statistics

Set enablestats to No

Now, as for purging the stats from the database, do you have Cpanel on your server or access to PhpMyAdmin some other way?
In reply to N Hansen

by Jacob Kier -
> Admin->Variables->Statistics
> Set enablestats to No

Got it.

> Now, as for purging the stats from the database, do you have Cpanel on
> your server or access to PhpMyAdmin some other way?

I can log in from the command line or use Webmin.  If I know which tables need to be emptied I can handle it from there.

Thanks again for the help!
Jacob
In reply to Jacob Kier

by N Hansen -
All the ones that start with yourprefix_stats. Probably the stats_daily one is the huge one.
In reply to N Hansen

by Shawn Cannon -
OK I know this was a very old thread but I have a question about Statistics.  If you turn off Statistics, will user stats still be available per course or not?  It seems to me that my monthly stats table is the one that is super huge!  Over 100 million rows!  I need to purge some of this but user stats need to remain.  I saw separate user stats tables.  which tables are affected by turning off Stats under variables?  Thanks...