Timed release?

Timed release?

by SA SA -
Number of replies: 15
Is there a simple way I can make a block or resource hidden until a specified time? this seems an obvious feature but I can't find out how to do it. 

Advice please?

Cheers,

SA
Average of ratings: -
In reply to SA SA

Re: Timed release?

by Will Taylor -
Yep!
Add the Couse Program block - does this really nicely.
-will
In reply to Will Taylor

by Sean S -
Add the Couse Program block - does this really nicely.
I searched the forums and the download page but cannot find this block. Do you know where to get it?
In reply to Sean S

by Darrin Jackson -
In reply to Darrin Jackson

by SA SA -

Darrin,

Does this work for moodle 1.6 (seems to be targeted at 1.5 and seems to involve
a fair bit of tinkering)...

Cheers,

SA
In reply to SA SA

by Will Taylor -
It's in CVS, and yes, there is a 1.6 version that is working great for me in 1.6.1.
Really does not involve much tinkering - read the instructions carefully, just some minor tweaks.  Well worth it!

I use this e.g. to release answer keys, example assignments &c. after the due date has passed; to reserve release of new material when I want students to focus on the material at hand rather than work ahead; usw.

- will
In reply to Will Taylor

by David Tang -

Can you point me a link to where the 1.6 version is? I found two course program 1.5 that are 14 and 21 months old in the CVS. I only looked under /contrib...

Thanks.

In reply to David Tang

by SA SA -
DAvid,

I think these are the right ones!

I got my copy from here:

http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=3

version 1.5 (for moodle 1.5) is the only one - I haven't got it working yet but my hints so far are:

instructions 2+3,

Follow the instructions but remember that the mod.php and view.php files you need to alter have changed between moodle 1.5 and 1.6 so it is trickier to find the correct place for the edits. I would be happy to post mine but since I haven't got it working yet this probably isn't a good idea.

preferably before instruction 4,

You need to copy the language files across before it will make any sense - search for a directory called lang/en/....php and move this to your moodle language directory lang/en_utf8 or something.

But as I said nothing is actually working yet...

SA
In reply to SA SA

by SA SA -
I have now tried the course program block every which way I can think of and it does not appear to change the visibility of anything - any hints anyone?

Here is what I am doing:

In my course I have 1/2 dozen topics, I want to make topic 1 appear at a certain time and the disappear at a certain time.  I select "program visibility" and set the date / time accordingly for topic 1 and then save.

What I expected was for topic 1 to become greyed out before the visible time as if the eye were closed.  During the visible time I expected it to be visible and then after invisible.

What I got was: it was always visible (unless I clicked the eye shut then it was always invisible).  The visibility didn't change, it didn't change for student view and it didn't change for a real student.  Basically no change.

Any ideas? - I am close to packing moodle in.

In reply to SA SA

by SA SA -
Darrin (and anyone who knows),

I have install the course program block 1.5 according to the instructions but I can't see any change:

I used the code from cdc.humboldt.edu/ rather than the CVS.

The admin menu;blocks give a new entry at the bottom of the list which is missing a title "blockname" which I guess is the course program block but I cannot see any change elsewhere or see any way to set when things are available.

Could someone elnlighten me please?

Cheers,

SA

In reply to SA SA

by Bill Fullbrook -

SA

If you move the lang files to the relevant place in the lang folder rather than leaving them in the blocks folder it should solve your problem - it did for me.

Bill

In reply to Bill Fullbrook

by SA SA -
Bill,

Thanks - I can confirm copying the lang/en/block_cours... file to
lang/en_utf8/ has resolved the garbage problem and it now looks like it should work properly.

However, I am not sure if I am doing something stupid but it doesn't appear to be working:

I select program visibity and set a block or resource to show at a certain time and disappear at a certain time but this doesn't make any difference to the visibility in any view including student view.

If I click the eye off it remains invisible, if I click it on it stays visible - the times set don't appear to make any difference at all!

This is a course that was set up before the course program module was installed - I don't know if this is a problem or not.

While I am here a couple of simple questions:

Can I get the date in the course_program module to follow the dd/mm/yyyy format (rather than mm/dd/yyyy)?

Is there a simple (digital) clock I can stick in the page?

Cheers,

SA
In reply to SA SA

by Bill Fullbrook -

The mod.php and view.php have to be copied into the course folder for everything to work, I don't think you have done this. HOWEVER, these overwrite the 1.6 files which may cause you other problems - they haven't for me but I've kept a copy of the originals just incase.

Not sure about changing the date - don't know where to look!

I paste the relevant code into an HTML block for my digital clock from the following link and then remove the href link at the top so there isn't a link on the clock: http://members.tripod.com/~Cannonball2/index-8.html There are many more about, search for "javascript digital clock"

In reply to Bill Fullbrook

by SA SA -
Bill,

The instructions tell me to edit the view and mod files rather than replace them like this:

2.  Move the following lines of code to course/view.php from block_course_program_1.5/course/view.php:

Lines 49-60 in block_course_program_1.5/course/view.php need to be moved over.  NOTE: A section of this code is commented out...
...Lines 87-92 in block_course_program_1.5/course/view.php need to be moved over. ...
3.  Move the following lines of code to course/mod.php from ...
Lines 305-307 in... ...need to be moved over.

I noticed that the view and mod files between course program and moodle 1.6 are rather different so it takes a bit of working out to get it right (amybe I haven't done this).

If you have it working by overwriting them completely with the course program code than I'll give this a whirl and see what happens.

SA
In reply to SA SA

by tony chesney -

All the threads and links relating to timed release seem to be well out of date;  the link to the Couse Program block (which apparently did timed release) is broken.

Is anyone working on time-releasing resources?