Selectable icons for assignments types

Selectable icons for assignments types

by Enrique Castro -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
There are several assignment types, but on the main page of a Moodle course all of them appear with the same icon: the hand presenting the written paper.

Perhaps it woul be a good idea to have different icons for each type of assignment, to help discerning them visually. Even more, there could be icons based on teh pedagogical purpose of the module instance.

I am a little worried by the removal of the Journal module in favor of the on-line Assignment. I do agree that technically is better, and easier for student and teacher to use. But I used to use reflective, non-graded Journals to collect student thinkings about a topic. Now these activities show in the course main page with the same icon as graded (and feared) assignments. My impression is that this fact affects to the  state of mind of students when  using on-line assignment as a journal. They tend to behave not so freely, as if grading is pending over their heads for the worst.

I imagine we could set an icon folder containing action/activity icons in moodle installation and let teachers to select the icon that best fit the pedagogical activity to be performed by each module instance, rather than identifying the underlaying module (code).

Average of ratings: -