Separate email digests for each course

Separate email digests for each course

by Martin Huntley -
Number of replies: 2
A year or so ago, I had one of my staff, Irene Leon (who now has moved on to another job), modify the forum email notification routine to allow users to choose to get separate digests for each course rather than just one digest for the whole site. She made some changes and submitted them through the bug tracker, but they have not yet been incorporated into the released version.

Recently, when incorporating these modifications into 1.6, we discovered that we had not tested enough. The course-by-course digests were working, but the single digest for the entire site was broken. We have now fixed that.

The net effect is that users can now elect to receive complete or subject-only digests separately for each course they are enrolled in, in addition to preserving the previous functionality of a single site-wide digest for those who opt for that.

I have attached a zip file with the modified files (all are modifications of the 1.6.1 versions of the respective files). Here's the summary of changes:

user/edit.html:
Added lines 162-163

lang/en_utf8/moodle.php:
Added lines 405-406

mod/forum/lib.php:
Added:   
    431-436
    496-501
    522-546
    625-636
    666-671
    4093-4110
Commented out:
    637-661

I'm hoping these changes will warrant inclusion in the released version. We find them invaluable, especially for instructors managing several courses, and I think others will too.

Notes:
  • I don't really know what overhead the course digests might add to busy sites (like moodle.org), but they work for our fairly low usage environment just fine.
  • Ideally, I'd like users to be able to select, on a course-by-course basis, which courses they get immediate email notification from and which send digests. (This would be especially useful for instructors with multiple courses who might value giving more direct immediate feedback at the beginning of some courses.) But that wasn't part of what I asked Irene to do, and it's beyond what I currently have time or ability to do. Perhaps someone else could take that on?

Hope folks find this useful.

Martin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Huntley

Revised course digest file

by Martin Huntley -
My apologies. I made a mistake in one of the files I uploaded with the previous message. Attached is the corrected version.
In reply to Martin Huntley

Re: Revised course digest file

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Hi Martin,

Is this something that's available in 2.6? I noticed you posted this back in 2006! Thanks!