Deleting forum posts so course can be re-run

Re: Deleting forum posts so course can be re-run

by David Banach -
Number of replies: 0
Hi,

I have this problem too. I use the Forums to present information in a format that the students can respond to and ask questions about, or I start discussions with sets of questions on different sections of the course. It would be wonderful if it were easier to deal with threads in a forum the way we can individual activities. I would like to be able to move them easily between courses, and hide or show them at different times.

I've found that the course restore and import functions don't actually restore the posts if user data is not restored or imported. It would be nice if there were a way to restore only the teacher's user data so only their posts were backedup and restored.

The ideal would be having a respository of stored posts available across courses like the question banks in the quiz module.

Right now I am looking at manually resposting over a hunder separate posts to restore the work from previous semesters.
Is there a way to move forum posts manually within myPHPadmin by manipulating the database directly? Does anyone know of any drawbacks to just copying the post or thread records and changing the fields for course and forum?

This is my second year using Moodle, and I've found this to be one of the biggest drawbacks of the forums.

Thanks

David