Quiz with sub-totaled sections?

Quiz with sub-totaled sections?

by Carly Born -
Number of replies: 5
I'm trying to recreate a Learning Styles survey in the quiz module (since I can't write custom surveys in the Survey module).  Is there a way to get sub-totals for different sections of the same quiz?

I'm trying to recreate this survey:
http://www.carla.umn.edu/about/profiles/CohenPapers/LearningStylesSurvey.pdf

Any help, advice would be appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carly Born

Re: Quiz with sub-totaled sections?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sorry, there is no support for this in the quiz module.

But actually, if you just made a separate quiz for each section of your survey, and direct students to the page that shows all the quizzes in the current course, I think that might meet your needs quite well.
In reply to Carly Born

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There was a discussion a while back on how to generate scores based on question category.  I'm not sure if this could be useful.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=35637

I think it was based on Moodle 1.5

-Steve
In reply to Stephen Bourget

by Ger Tielemans -
There was a Spanisch group (?) working on a module about learning style.

We did puzzle a long time on the Quizz module to do that too, because Quizz could profit from that very much too..  But it was too complex, and then Quizs started to roll also, so we are now working on a stand-alone diagnostix module:
  1. using a simple scheme, you feed your questions in categories to the module (we choose this option so you can insert your own test if you are the legal user of that test set.)
  2. it will score the answers in categories
  3. it will show the scoring on the screen and you can take a closer look at the subscores of each category: our teachers love this in comparison with the old pencil&paper version of the same test. (in this example you see a test with 10 categories and 8 questions in each category,scoring 1,2 or 3 --  sorry in Dutch--.
    Category 2 gets a score of 21 out of 24 and if you click on that score, you get the scoring on the questions of that category on the right.
  4. you can decide if students can see the results also or not
  5. you can allow more attemptsor not
  6. you can choose the number of questins on each page
  7. it will normalise the scores (stanines in this case)
  8. you can make an excel-dump of the overall score
  9. IT IS COMPLETE INDEPENDENT OF QUIZZ, just testing with a standalone set.
  10. the first draft will soon be available for 1.6 (and maybe 1.5?)
Wish-list: extend the evalution-mechanism with other schemes and some visualisations, so who wishes to volunteer?  (we leave it as it is now for a while)

if you have free tests, I would like to have a copy

Attachment vb003.png
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Score breakdown by questio category. What a good idea. That is obviously the easiest way to implement this in Moodle.

I think it would be possible to incorporate that into the quiz module relatively simply by making it a new quiz report plugin.

Except that would only make the information available to teachers, not students. Hmm ...
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ger Tielemans -
Not that simple, you must tell the system which questions belong EDUCATIONAL together. (yes, you can use the caegory for that purpose, but categories are also used for other purposes)

Introduce a new educational (metadata/subdomainreference-) field?

The interesting part of having subscoring is that you can advise students to (re)study only some parts of a subdomain after using quiz as a "step-in-diagnose-test"

(popular name in The Netherlands for such a test: "skip-test")