Recommendations for Development Tools

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 16
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Recommendations for Development Tools

by Jan Dierckx -

Tim Hunt recently added some really good documentation on setting up Eclipse for developing Moodle code. Unfortunately Eclipse runs too slow on my computer. I don't know how it compares to Dreamweaver though.

I can't tell about the other PHP IDE's as it seems most people are using editors. Make sure you at least have support for tags functionality as that will make it easier to lookup Moodle function definitions.

jEdit is free and has support for tags.

Vim is very fast, very powerfull but has a steep learning curve. Nice thing about vim is also that it is available on almost every server.

And then of course (if you need your editor to have a psychiatrist built-in wink ) there is Emacs. Seriously I don't know which one is best. I think it's just a matter of personal taste. To me learning to use Vim's different editing modes is easier than having to type a lot of different key combinations.

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Stowell -
I use Dreamweaver when on a PC and it works fine. My only complaint is that you can't tell it to use tabs instead of spaces and it doesn't provide a way to jump quickly to any functions defined in the file. (All decent editors provide a pull-down list which automatically lists all such elements.)

Mostly I use Mac and I use BBEdit, which is marvellous.

I also use vi or vim for command-line editing which is really handy when all you have is an SSH command line.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Dan > you can't tell [Dreamweaver] to use tabs instead of spaces

I expect you mean the other way round.wink

See this post.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
A really nifty free editor I sometimes use (I also use Dreamweaver) is SuperEdi.

The features I like:  It's free.  It uses color coding.  It has a functions window.  It has bracket matching.  And, you can do a replace of tabs with 4 spaces.  Unfortunately, I think there is only a Windows version.

By the way, Jospeph, you can easily replace tabs with spaces in Dreamweaver to, just highlight a tab, click on Edit, Find and replace, type in 4 spaces in the replace box and click on replace all--done! smile
In reply to Deleted user

by Greg Lyon -
I'm going through the same drill Paul.  Using Dreamweaver (mx2004) because I have it installed, I agree it works better than I expected but it's not particularly php aware so it's more like an editor than an IDE. 

I've done the 30 day demo of Zend Studio and will most likely buy it (well, my boss will) but I thought I'd try out some other options first.  It does nice code completion and self documentation as long as you follow certain standards.  It recognizes require_once syntax and includes user functions in code completion and quick help.  It doesn't handle large files as well as I wish it did, and I sure wish it could understand embedded language better.  It does nice code highlighting but only for the extension of the file you're working with.  If the extension is .js it 'knows' javascript, but if it's .php it completely forgets that it knows javascript.  Oh well!

I've ruled out Maguma Studio (free version) because another developer I work with is using it and constantly complains about it. He gives it about 6/10.

Haven't had a chance to try others yet but I have a list of 4 or so to work through.  I like Zend enough that I may just get it.  I wish it were a bit cheaper though...
In reply to Deleted user

by Alastair Hole -
I also use Dreamweaver (I'm stuck on Windows at work sad ) for project style functionality.

EditPlus is also recommended for quick edits (easier than notepad - has code highlighting etc.)

Both non-free unfortunately.
In reply to Deleted user

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Paul,

Saw this post and had to represent my most favorite application: TextMate.  This is by far the most powerful yet simplest editor I have ever ran across.  I used to use Dreamweaver but it drove me insane by not allowing me enough control while editing and it is bloated with useless features when one is only editing in code view.  TextMate sometimes reminds me of Photoshop in that you can use the application for months or years and then discover some new and powerful feature that you have never used before.

TextMate is for Mac OS X only, but I think it is impossible to beat.

Another good application is CocoaMySQL.  It is a GUI for MySQL and it is Mac only as well.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Tony Hursh -
TextMate is awesome.

I still fire up emacs now and then, but for 90% of my day-to-day use it's TextMate all the way.

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
ok - here's one from left field - We're another MS shop, so guess what most of our tools are!

I'm using an extension called Vs.PHP with Visual Studio 2005

seems to work ok.

smile

Dan
In reply to Deleted user

by N Hansen -
I use an editor called CPad for coding. It has bracket matching and it allows you to run diffs on two files. But one of my favorite tools is something called AM-Code Search. It allows you to search any file type for strings of code within that file. Very useful when you are looking up a particular string in Moodle and want to know where it occurs, since the Windows search function can't handle php files but AM Code Search can.
In reply to Deleted user

by Samuli Karevaara -
There is a very wide scale of development environments in use, as noted from the responses. Lot of overlapping signals start to sound like noice at some point smile Martin D. himself uses "vim" (or "gVim") in combination with utility tools like "grep", "ctags" and revision control (CVS, maybe TortoiseCVS for a client).

If you want a full IDE, Eclipse might be the one to go with. Zend Studio is another one candidate, but it's not free. But if you're looking for drag'n'drop data grids, visual form building tools and similar features that sometimes describe the "state of the art IDEs", then I don't think there is one that you can use in Moodle development. The web forms are usually generated by a big combination of functions and the database queries are done with Moodle library calls. Dreamweaver in the code view seems to work ok, apart from the lack of "spaces for tabs" support.

I've used PHPEdit in the past, but due to stability problems I switched to gVim. Basically my IDE, in a wide sense, is a file explorer (xplorer2), gVim, Firefox with a lot of extensions like WebDeveloper, MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser, Subversion with TortoiseSVN, grep and some shell scripts (both in Windows and Linux).
In reply to Deleted user

by ian lake -

I have not even begun to look at development of Moodle or php yet but have built up a tool box of programs that look useful for when i do.

there is a free program out there call php designer that looks as though it will do the job you want.

ian