Uploaded files with special chars creates problems ...

Uploaded files with special chars creates problems ...

by Peter Sereinigg -
Number of replies: 10

When  users uploads files with special chars ("+",...) in the name, then the link may not work.

• Users filename: "Prozesse+Attribute.zip"
  • Servers Filename: "Prozesse+Attribute.zip"
  • Shown in Moodle Forum: Prozesse_Attribute.zip

After renaming the file download works ...

Is it possible to prevent users from uploading such files?

thanks Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Sereinigg

Re: Uploaded files with special chars creates problems ...

by Dale Jones -
You could try telling them not to use "special characters" in filenames...just an idea.
In reply to Dale Jones

by W Page -

Ha Ha!!! You must work with adults! Annnnnd even then.......

WP!

In reply to W Page

by Dale Jones -
nope...I work with 11-16 year olds.  There's an air of satisfaction when I tell them to RTFM (instructions are always on-screen).  They eventually get trained, but not as quickly as my Labrador retriever...(she has problems using the mouse though)
In reply to Dale Jones

by Williams Castillo -
You really told 11 year old children RTFM??? smile
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Dale Jones -
Heh, no, not literally!  They get a modified version (what does that F stand for anyway? big grin )

At 11 they still need their hands holding, but even at this early age I start to get them to look for the answers to their questions rather than relying on the teacher being there to help them (by supplying answers) all the time.  It's a technique that seems to be working, as those at 12/13 years old are now more able to find the answers themselves.  The empowerment to take a part in the path their own learning is taking gives them loads of confidence and they build on this to make progress as a result.  It's about "learning to learn" IMO, and the skills they develop are transferable to all areas of learning.  Moodle has facilitated this enormously, as pupils who have used the system will now search for their own answers in an ever-increasing "circle of uncertainty", using wider and wider resources until they find an appropriate solution.  It's early days yet but there are some good results appearing. 

Thanks for your concern for my tender pupils though Williams!
In reply to Dale Jones

by Marc Dastous -

Amen brother!!  Empower the students to be accountable for their own learning.  What a novel concept wink

One of my students told me what the "F" stands for the other day surprise

Have a great day!

Marc

In reply to Dale Jones

by Williams Castillo -
You're welcome.. smile

(And just between you and me, you CAN told them RTFM literally: Create a new text filter that translate RTFM to a more polite "Read the manual, please")... eviltongueouteviltongueouteviltongueout

Will
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Dale Jones -
What a great idea!  I'm going to do the glossary entry now big grin
In reply to Dale Jones

by Marc Dastous -

Dale;

I also teach middle schoolers and I agree.  I post the assignments to Moodle with the instructions on the screen both in text and multi-media audio/video (*.rm).  They can choose what is comfortable for their learning style.

However, they have been spoon fed the curriculum for so long that I have to train them to solve problems for themselves.  OMG!!!  You'd think I was asking them to pull their own teeth and hair out.

Moodle has been a great way to free up time for one on one instruction with the students who are having difficulty.  The kids that "get it" can accelerate in the curriculum and go farther than if I lectured the entire class period.

Once you've had Moodle, you'll never go backsmile!!!!

Marc