Roles support in 1.7

Roles support in 1.7

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you want to give general feedback on the young Roles support in 1.7 please do it here.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Roles support in 1.7

by N Hansen -
I'd just like to get some questions answered about how this works. I'd like to go forward with some of the planning for the improved payment plugin but I can't do anything until I understand how roles will work better.
In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This testing forum is probably not the place, see the docs on roles.

by N Hansen -
The docs didn't (and still don't) answer my questions, which is why I posted them in the developer's forum thread on roles. I just haven't gotten any response to them there.

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't want to give to the participants of my courses the possibility to see the list of virtual "class mate", i.e. the partecipants list form people block. I want allow them to see teachers only.
To do this I went to the role of students in the user->permissions->defines rules->students and I set "View participants" to prohibit.
Now I went to a course with participants block, I changed "Switch role to..." to
students and... I was still allowed to see the list of participants.
Where was I wrong?
TIA
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Martin Dougiamas -
Ah, there's actually TWO capabilities for this ... one is to see the SITE participants listing (in the top section) and one is for course participants (look further down in the course section). You want the second one.

I know it's confusing, better help on that screen is actually on the way already.

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you for your quick answer... I did what you suggested but now my students can't see teachers as well pensieroso and I used the people block to give students the possibility to send email to teachers.

by Scott Grogg -
Hi Everyone!

So far, I really like what I see of the roles option in 1.7. In fact, it will make a HUGE impact on our online course administration when we make the upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7 in the future. But, before feeling 100% comfortable with things, I need to know in layman's terms (since I was lost reading through the docs) a couple of things.
  1. What is the difference between Prevent and Prohibit when altering roles?
  2. Will there be additional roles implemented in the 1.7 final release?
  3. Will there be a multiple page system of altering the roles? The reason for this question is simple! I got lost working through that huge list of options. If it was divided into distinctly different sections/page, it would be easier to navigate.
Scott

by Greg Lyon -
I've just noticed that the 'Course Creator' role has 'Course: create courses' defauted to prevent. Is this correct? Seems that it should be allow by default...

I should also point out that for the past 2 weeks or so I've just been updating my moodle from cvs and haven't done a clean install, so maybe that's at play here?
In reply to Greg Lyon

by N Hansen -
I think there are two different things that may be referred to in the same way. There's the moment of creation-where the course comes into existence, and then there is the creation of the content inside it. I would suspect that "Course: create courses" refers to the former. If teachers were given that capability, then they could create an infinite number of courses, which wouldn't be good by default. Only the admin should have the right by default to bring a course into existence. I could be wrong about this, but that is how I would see it.
In reply to N Hansen

by Greg Lyon -
Huh, well if that's true then I don't know what the difference between a Course Creator, Teacher and Non-editing teacher would be. My assumption all along (and I do know how much trouble assumptions can cause) has been as follows (default settings assumed):
  • Admin can do anything with courses (create, modify, delete). (pretty sure about this one)
  • Course creators can create and modify courses?
  • Teachers can modify courses once created by an admin or course creator?
  • non-editing Teachers can grade and run a course but not edit it?

If that is not how it is please correct me!
In reply to N Hansen

by Bill Steele -

I actually do want the staff to be able to create their own courses in order to reduce the administrative burden and increase staff buy in.  It appears that with the new roles if you provide this right then the member of staff has access to all the courses in the same category.

In other words I would like  a member of staff to be able to create their own courses but have no access to anyone elses courses

Bill

by Colin McQueen -

Thanks for the roles functionality. I have tried it out on a local set up and find that the creation and allocation of roles seems to work well. What I'm not clear about is the "result" of the creation meeting the need for a particular role.

A few questions.

1. Has anyone set up some examples that work and will there be some default ones available to try out.

2. Is there a way to import a role other than (I presume) a backup zip from a course with a user who has a particular role?

3. I have tried to set up a user who can view anything (including tests) but not do anything other than search. Is this possible?

4. Is there a switch to prevent a user in a particular role to not show up in grades, online users, people block etc.

My main need is to have a role where I can scan across lots of moodles to get an overview, some stats and ability to see into courses but not leave a footprint other than logs nor be able to change anything. This would help me in my role as an advisor/consultant to our schools.

At present I get guest access in some, registered user only student access into open courses, course creator in others where I set up a few bits before I go in to train or admin access where I am helping beginner admins but also where the school are happy for me having a look around.

I'm not comfortable about the latter and the former is a bit restrictive for my need. Being able to request from a school this invisible and harmless visitor would be great.

When I tried to set this up giving a user all the "View ..." type access I am still able to edit/do, for example quizzes can be edited and done. I'm also a bit confused about how to stop being a participant in a course like an admin but without admin rights.

Anyone else tried this.