Moodle 1.2OK, my already rarefied development time is running out ... let me clarify what I'm planning to do for Moodle 1.2 beta.
- not post on moodle.org much for a while.
- write and publish the release notes so people can see what's in it
- finish editing of groups (image editing, random assignment to groups)
- add group-awareness to the remaining modules that don't have it yet.
- link to the recent.php page if we are happy with it in its current form
- do a final QA check of all pages and polish any obvious rough edges including documentation.
Some things that are not going to be in 1.2 beta package.
- exercise module - not because it isn't useful, but because of the 8Mb process limit. There are several ways around this, but I am dreading the flood of queries from people who know nothing about PHP (eg people who installed via Fantastico etc) who will suddenly have a non-functioning system.
- dialogue module
- (sorry Ray!) again this is partly for the memory reasons, and partly
because it's a stop-gap solution for a full instant-messaging system
integrated in the main Moodle interface. Many people I know are using
the module and loving it.
- attendance module
- there are number of problems with the coding and interface of this
and the original author is busy on other things right now. The idea is
very good, it just needs more work.
- calendars -
much as I would like to, there just isn't time to get this completely
working to a reasonable standard - however I know many people want this
so it will probably be in 1.3.
- GUI to enable/disable text filters
- there are still some serious performance problems with big glossaries
so I'd rather filters weren't easy to turn on. I know my moodle.com
servers would start suffering if every customer of mine suddenly
started using big linked glossaries and mathematics symbols, so I think
the problems would be even more serious for the tighter accounts on
some other webhosts. The solution is to introduce some filtered text caching, but this will take some work and testing. Perhaps in 1.2 final, but probably 1.3.
- the other 500 things I would like to add
Once 1.2 beta is available I would like to see a concerted effort from people to use it, test it, and submit bugs to the bug tracker. Hopefully after a week or so we will be ready to declare this as Moodle 1.2 Final and release it with much tears and beers.
Moodle 1.3As you can see from the above, there is probably a need for a 1.3 release soon after 1.2 to add calendars and filtered text caching. My hope is to get this done within weeks, because I really want to move on 2.0.
Moodle 2.0I'm planning to fork the code completely for Moodle 2 in CVS, with a new directory cvs:/moodle2. This will allow us to make the radical changes required for templates etc without upsetting people using CVS to maintain their installations.
I would like to see the 1.x branch continue as the stable branch, with continuing fixes and polishing, with a few volunteers watching over it. Moodle Classic, if you like. However, Moodle 2 will be the recommended structure for any major new modules or other developments. Practically every single script in it will be reworked to take advantage of lessons learned from Moodle 1.
Note that Moodle 2 will retain upgradeability from any previous version - once it's stable and equivalent in functionality to Moodle 1.x I expect almost everyone will want to upgrade to it.
Hope this clarifies a few things ...