A multidimensional approach to assessment of learning

A multidimensional approach to assessment of learning

by Kam Vento -
Number of replies: 0
Many good ideas and philosophies about assesment has been discussed on Moodle and some core concepts have been implemented by Moodlers such as rubrics and scales, however I'm still having difficulting implementing what I think are some of the core ideals. For example, I like the idea of a multidimensional approach to assesment of learning. I establish values (not in the numeric sense) which I use to assess student success. There are a number of different labels one can use, such as learning competencies, but I prefer values.

I then apply scalar values (in the numeric sense) to these values which describe a dimension that I want to assess. A likert scale is a useful tool in assesing the values within a dimension. The idea for this methodology stems from an Intercultural Communication Survey which  looked at developing an instrument to measure values across cultures.

I don't particularly like quizzes as an assesment tool, as I want to encourage, develop, and assess some of the same dimensions that Martin talks about. Here's what I'm wondering:

Would enhanced site logs be able to serve a purpose beyond activity?
Site logs already track activity could they include instructor annotations, individual annotations, and group annotations?

Thanks
Kam

Average of ratings: -