RFC: Proposed questions commentary feature

RFC: Proposed questions commentary feature

โดย Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 13
รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของDocumentation writers รูปภาพของParticularly helpful Moodlers รูปภาพของPeer reviewers รูปภาพของPlugin developers

Please can I have your thoughs on the following proposal:

What I am proposing

At the moment, when a student submits an answer to a quiz question or when they review their attempt later, they may get some feedback about the answer they chose, get told their grade, or get shown the right answer to the question. Which bits they see when depends on the quiz settings.

At the OU, we feel that there is a gap here. Often, in addition to the feedback that is specific to the student's chosen answer, we want to display some extra text to all students to reinforce the concepts in the question. Here is a quite long example of the kind of thing I mean from a chemistry question. After they have finished this particular question, and after they get told whether their answer was right or wrong, we want all students to see:

The atomic number of lithium is 3. From the strips beneath the elements symbols, the order of sub-shell filling up to the end of Period 2 is 1s, 2s, 2p. The length of the strips indicate the number of electrons that each sub-shell can hold; 2 for the s sub-shell and 6 for the p sub-shell.

So the electron configuration of the lithium atom is 1s2 2s1.

A shorter example that might be used with a maths question might be:

If you don't feel confident multiplying and dividing negative number, you may want to re-read section 2.2 of the lecture notes.

At the moment you can't really do this. In some question types you can fake it by copying and pasting the same text into all the feedback boxes, but that sucks, and it does not work with other question types, for example multiple-choice multiple-reponse questions.

I am proposing to call this extra information that is displayed to all students 'commentary', and to give teachers the option of adding some commentary when they are creating or editing a question.

How I am proposing to implement it

• Add a new text box to the editing page for each question type, where the teacher can type some commentary text if they want to. This box probably goes at the end of the form.
  • Add columns 'commentarytext' and 'commentarytextformat' to the mdl_question table to store this information for each question.
  • Add a new column of check boxes to the 'Students may review ...' part of the quiz settings page, to control when this commentary is displayed to students.
  • Display the commentary text beside the question when appropriate according to the quiz settings. I think this should go after the question text and controls and any specific feed back, and before the grading information.
'Commentary' is the best name I have been able to come up with for this. If you can think of a better name, let me know.

Note (or should I say commentary wink): I decided it would be a good idea to post about changes I was planning before actually implementing them. Hence this message.

This is partly so you know what is coming up, but more importantly so more people can review the proposals and point out any flaws or suggest any improvements before it is too late.

Also it is really helpful to me to write down how I plan to implement it. That makes life a lot easier when I start writing the code.
การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: RFC: Proposed questions commentary feature

โดย N Hansen -
This is actually already possible, using the essay questions at least. I do this using the feedback field, but I call it "Context" because I use it to display contextual information about the piece of text that the student translated for that question. This feedback is already always displayed, if it exists, regardless of the student's grade, so for essay questions at least, it may be better to simply rename this field rather than create a new one.

I'm of the opinion that specific feedback (as opposed to the kind of feedback you describe here) and the marks the student receives should not be separated from one another. Especially in the essay module, the specific feedback the student gets from the teacher on their own submission most likely serves as an explanation of the mark they got so it makes sense it stays together.

Can you explain what the commentarytextformat field would be for?

In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย Ray Lawrence -
This box probably goes at the end of the form.

Just a small point on this. My vote would be for it to be nearer the top of the form, otherwise there is too much scrolling. Also as this will make more sense visually helping it to be related to the whole question, not a particular option/answer IMO.

On slightly unrelated point, when a question is previewed in IE it's often necessary to scroll slightly to display the buttons in the pop up window. Not a big thing you might say, but a pest when checking a large number of questions. Anticipating that this will add to the data displayed in the preview pop up could you take this into account when developing this enhancement?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

โดย Tim Hunt -
รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของDocumentation writers รูปภาพของParticularly helpful Moodlers รูปภาพของPeer reviewers รูปภาพของPlugin developers
Replying to both the previous messages at once.

Add the following implementation tasks to the ones in my previous post:
  • Add support for commentary in Moodle XML export format.
  • Add support for commentary in backup and restore.
  • Update the 'what is displayed when' options for all existing quizzes.
For that last one, we need a policy. I think that by default I will make it show commentary whenever it shows feedback. Anyway, no existing questions will have commentary so there won't be any visible change in existing quizzes.

In terms of editing form layout. I'll try both ways, and decide which looks best.

In terms of question layout, you are right. Both feedback and the mark relate to the student's answer, so they should be together. Actually, this is really easy to customise. The file /question/type/question.html, controls the overall layout of all questions, and it is very easy to tweak.

Preview window size. I've made it a bit bigger. I have also made it a bit easier to tweak in future. After I check this change in, you will just need to go to the top of lib/questionlib.php, and change the line
define('QUESTION_PREVIEW_POPUP_OPTIONS', 'scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=700,height=540');

Can you explain what the commentarytextformat field would be for?

It's a boring, implementation detail. And actually, I was wrong, it was not necessary.
In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย N Hansen -
But does question.html actually control the layout of all questions at the moment?  In some question types it does, but in other question types it is split across several files. Now, customizing these things is actually not that easy because of this.
In reply to N Hansen

โดย Tim Hunt -
question.html controls most things for all questions. However, the biggest lump it deals with is a call to the print_question_formulation_and_controls(..) method of the particular question type.

So controlling a lot of things is easy. Controlling things within the big lump is hard.

With essay, I have decided it is worth having both feedback and commentary, because they may be displayed at different times.
In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย N Hansen -
Feedback is always displayed now, so how would it be different than commentary, unless it was set differently on the config page?
In reply to N Hansen

โดย Tim Hunt -

unless it was set differently on the config page

I think you just answered your own question. You can choose to display it at different times depending on the settings on the quiz settings page.

In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย N Hansen -
Tim-That's what I thought, but what would the default difference between the two be?

Pierre-I'm sure you could include links to other sites if you wanted to do so. I do that from time to time with the feedback already.
In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย Pierre Pichet -

Hi Tim,

This specific feedback is a good suggestion, however it can be of various form involving more than text (i.e. chemical formulas) .

As we are on the web, I would suggest that most of this feedback should be elsewhere on the web (inside or outside Moodle) and that a link opening a new window will give all the necessary flexibility.

It will also be more easily implemented.

A general comment on an exercise is generally given before the quizz when you tell the students to do the quizz after reading the chapter on the subject. However, they will first try the quizz just in case they don't need to review the subject.

In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย Howard Miller -
Tim,

My (possibly) naive reply is to ask if you think that this may start to impinge on the lesson activity?
In reply to Howard Miller

โดย Pierre Pichet -

I agree with you that question feedback should be somewhat limited to help the student to correct his response.

The organization of the different questions for example in what we call in Québec microenseignement (microlearning?), is more appropriate in the lesson activity.

In a lesson activity the student has generally the control of his learning process which means that he can always put a false response to know the good one, and, generally, he comes back later to see if he remembers the good response and feels ready for the examination or quizz. 

This is the same learning process when you try to answer questions at the end of a chapter in a learning book (i.e. your general chemistry book, to use the Tim example). Especially when some responses are given at the end of the book or if you can borrow the teacher manual from the library wink.

In reply to Howard Miller

โดย Tim Hunt -
I've never actually looked at the lesson module (I probably should).

I think this type of feedback is valuable to students when reviewing their test scores, which is a scenario that has nothing to do with the lesson module.

Also, I have finished implementing this, and am about to check it in, so the useful debate is about whether the way it works is right, not whether it should be done at all.