Moodle output to kml via php - Google Earth won't parse

Re: latitude/longitude

by Richard Treves -
Number of replies: 0
"Rich - This looks nice... I'm using a Mac and I don't seem to have an "internal browser". I've looked in the preferences, menus, etc - it's a windows-only feature?"

dunno, have never seen GE on the Mac.  To access on windows GE v4: Tools>General>Show web results in external browser (should be off obviously)

"My "latitude/longitude" data type (discussed in the other thread) now enables back-and-forth switching to Google Earth. I've got the KML export working nicely so that when you jump to Google Earth, the placemark has an associated URL that takes you right back to the Moodle data item you came from."

yup neat.  That's what the my 'all the points' map does too.  There's probably a way of finding the placemark from the database via php for my map but I haven't looked at that yet.

I'll also work out how to incorporate your datatype into my file but I'm new to writing code for Moodle so I'll have to work out how to install your datatype, access it from the code, etc etc from moodle.docs before I can do that.

" I'm not a member of the "Google Earth community", will there be many interested in this kind of thing?"

Yes to the concept but I suspect less to the specific Moodle/GE mashup.  There are various projects similar to this going on already, someone is building something similar for joomla and a guy called valery35 (might have the number wrong) on the google earth community has taken a web based spreadsheet and mashed it with GE.  Check out 'Google Earth blog' and 'ogle earth' who are the 2 biggest blogs on this kind of stuff.

Do you have a particular project in mind for this?