Updating ...

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

Re: Updating ...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Either we have a language barrier here or your memory is failing !! big grin

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5102#23373

I will try one more time to explain this. mixed

Do not download the modules like this - you will create more problems like the ones you've been posting here every day about. Your problems are not because of Moodle - they are because you are mixing old and new files from different places.

You will make life easier on yourself (and everyone around you wink ) if you ERASE all your files except config.php, and start again with CVS. Here are the instructions from the download page:

To connect and login for the first time to the CVS server, you can use this command:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle login

There is no password - when asked for one, just hit Enter.

To checkout (download) the entire Moodle code for the first time, use this command:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co moodle

Later, to update your local copy of Moodle to the current version in CVS you just need to go into your local moodle directory and type:

cvs update -dP

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Martin,

It seems to me that the source of this problem is your providing separate downloads of standard modules. You should only provide separate downloads for those modules which are not included in the standard Moodle distribution. That way you avoid these sorts of problems and save time on dealing with these questions.

Zig

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sometimes the upgraded standard modules can be useful as separate downloads, though on balance I tend to agree with you.  It's a little confusing at the moment,  I know, with various things in various stages of development.  I'll disable the download links for "standard" modules.

I recently made a change in Moodle which should automatically prevent most of this kind of problem happening in future - each module now specifies the exact minimum version of Moodle that it requires.  The caveat is that it won't really be useful until people upgrade their Moodle to the version which supports this feature.

Next time, instead of "Version x.x development" I'm going to call it "Version x.x Danger! Danger!".  smile

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

each module now specifies the exact minimum version of Moodle that it requires

"should specify" or "must specify"? And what is the API for this?

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's optional ... module authors just need to add a line to version.php
    $module->requires = 2004013101;
This probably needs mentioning in a few places. big grin

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Don't worry too much, Martin. I don't think many people got in to trouble by upgrading with complete nightly's. I think this is an isolated problem. How many people are running 1.2 dev on their productionserver ?

For the future is could be wise to let the stable releases follow eachother a little faster. I now it is not easy to stop the train of developement and sure all the new features are great and should be as soon as possible in the stable release, but nessesarely in the next one ?

IMHO are one or two new modules/features per release more than enough to justifie a release. After all, from 1.1 to 2.0 are 8 possible releases to go!

In reply to koen roggemans

by Floyd Collins -

I agree, and this is the very same point that I learned in my C class in college about disturbing software. Releasing should be done in stages of much smaller increments then we are doing with moodle.

In reply to Floyd Collins

by Floyd Collins -
disturbing = Auto Spell On 

Distributing  Auto Spell Off

Got to love that. Sorry

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'm not going to list all the reasons for the delayed release here but I'm curious about your use of the word "we" there. There is a great deal of work happening every day that you are obviously not seeing. Have you offered to help lately? wink

Sorry if I sound narky ... had a bad sleep last night, but I'm still hoping to get a lot of development done today.

by Floyd Collins -

Martin,

I hope you where not referring to me with this comment about we. I in no way meant that I was part of the development and release of moodle. I was just agreeing that there seems to be some confusion with the release.  

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry, don't worry about it - I get a bit touchy when I haven't slept - I should lay off the keyboard until I get a couple of coffees in me.

It's probably true about the confusion from outside (my perspective is quite different from the inside) although I did think the download page and the Future page was pretty clear about where things are at.  Part of it may be because developers are mixed in here with end-users (which I think has many more advantages than disadvantages).

The truth is that development plans have been interrupted by other things, so it's a fluid situation (much more so than any previous release).

Eloy is very good at publishing his TODO lists and updating them in CVS as he ticks items off.  I'll try and do the same in future.  Let's take this to the developer forum.

by Chris Ainsworth -
Hi Martin - there seems to be a lot of confusion.(outside looking in). from a realistic perspective for anyone deploying on a live server anything but the latest stable release (1.1.1), runs the risk of an unstable environment - and they must some how understand that I have to figure this one out yet). There are a few who genuinely have the skills to sustain a developmental environment - I do on a second development server deploying 1.2 - but the working environment is still 1.1.1 for several reasons - but stability is the key factor.

I do run some minor courses on 1.2, but they are for evaluation and development. For those that alsways need the latest and greatest - then they need to provide their own technical support mechanism. for those out there that wish to deploy 1.2 on a live server - invest in some good technical support people around you - don't rely on the community to make up for ones ignorance and limited IT skills.. For those deployng 1.2 on live servers - put up with the problems and learn a little more.

For the "newbies" my advice is to deploy 1.1.1 only and learn the system - by the time you are up to speed 1.2 will be a production version and life will be so much simpler - for all.

Thank you for the efforts you and the other developers around the world. You all do a great job that is to be commended and it is a pleasure to work with a "stable product" and a resonably stable developmental product for a change in LMS/CMS world.

Keep up the great work.
Chris
"without the learner - there is no training" (FLL 2001)
In reply to Chris Ainsworth

by W Page -

Hi!

I have been reading this thread with interest over the last few days.  Just wanted to ask a question.

What about "Beta" releases until MOODLE v2.0 is released? 

I do not know what that would mean from a dvelopmental standpoint to the developers.  It is meant to be an innocent question to stir some discussion.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Every release has at least one beta release first, where things are more or less complete but need testing from a wider community.  The next release, Moodle 1.2, will be no different.

Moodle 2.0 will be a radical change from the Moodle 1.x code.  I don't think you'll see this before mid-year 2004.

by Chris Ainsworth -
Hi Martin and all - I personally agree with "beta" relaeses - however they are that - final testing versions and deployed in contorlled or semi-controlled environments with a team of people who understand the issues with 'beta" testing.  I have done tis with microsoft profducts for clients over several years and have no issue with that philosophy.  I also run 1.2 in a controlled environment - a) to provide feedback if there is a probel with the way i deploy moodle  and b) to stay abreast of forth coming cahnges so i can deploy them as soon as the release is relased as a stabel version - and yet there will also be little bugs to sort out as well.

What we have seen though is some "new people on the block" trying to deploy "beta" versions without adequate technical support around them.  If "newbies" want to play - do it on a production version or if they wan the lastest and up[ to date - get Martin  to host it for them (at the appropriate fee). I beleive it is unrealistic for new comers to expect Martin and othersin the community to drag them out of a hole (but they all do willingly) solving deployment issues on a beta  prgoram.  They would be better advided to deploy 1.1.1.

Just my three bit worth.   It maybe time to restrict the bets cvs updates to registerd testers and developers....  as the big players do - I think there are enough of us around who could fufil that role and assist martin to move the projects forward.

Chris

by Peter Sereinigg -

For an not expert it is more than difficult to find the correct version, if there are different possibilities to download.

• .....My language barrier: you speak "technical dialect" ärgerlich .. I speak "user language" schüchtern
  • .....your memory is failing:  Maybe I am too old for moodle Breite Grinsen

Your instructions are on the way to my admin, he will change this ...

Peter