Block visibility

Block visibility

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 1
According the teacher documentation, the closed-eye icon means an item is hidden from students.  The documentation does not say how the icon affects teachers.

Here is the behavior I get on my 1.6+ site.
  • When I login to a course as teacher, hidden blocks are invisible
  • The blocks become visible when I turn editing on, but their contents are hidden (expand(+) reveals only white space -- see attached screenshot)
  • To see the contents, I must unhide the block (open the eye).  Before logging out, I must remember to close the eye in order to keep the block invisible to students
  • When I login as student, hidden blocks are invisible, regardless of the course setting "Hidden sections."
Well, at least the student behavior seems reasonable smile.  Here's the behavior I had expected:
  • When I login as teacher, hidden blocks are visible and their contents are also visible, even when not in editing mode.  I can freely collapse (-) and expand (+) the contents.
  • When I login as student, hidden blocks are invisible (or possibly grayed out if the course setting "Hidden sections" is set to "Hidden sections are shown in collapsed form")
Is this a bug, or is it supposed to work this way?  If so, what is the rationale?  Is some site setting controlling this behavior?

Attachment people_block.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Isner

Re: Block visibility

by John Isner -
Let me simplify my question:  What's the functional difference between
(1) having a People block which is hidden
(2) not having a People block?