How to delay showing replies to discussion question until X # of students have replied

How to delay showing replies to discussion question until X # of students have replied

by David Huston -
Number of replies: 4
I know forums are meant to promote discussion and give and take, but I also know that he who posts firsts unduly dominates the discussion.

I would like to delay displaying/hide replies until x # of students have replied without seeing anyone else's reply first.

Is this doable?

I seem to remember hearing someone mention it--perhaps at the NE Moodle Moot.

Thanks

David Huston
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Huston

Re: How to delay showing replies to discussion question until X # of students have replied

by Art Lader -
Hi, David,

Are you thinking about the blocking feature, perhaps? Not exactly what you described, but it would prevent a student from hijacking a discussion.

-- Art
Attachment blocking.gif
In reply to Art Lader

Re: How to delay showing replies to discussion question until X # of students have replied

by David Huston -
Hi Art:

I'm using 1.5.4 I think, and I haven't seen this blocking feature.

Is it a 1.6 feature?

What does blocking do, exactly?

Thanks

BTW, I just spent the last two days introducing Moodle to a group of 12 interested fellow teachers.  It went very well and they are all on their way with their own sites.  Our school has contracted with remote-learner to host our site.  I like the relationship so far.  I learned we will be upgrading to 1.6 by September.

The forum issue came up in our discussions.  I was sure I heard something about it at the GDA MoodleMoot.  Did your friend from Minnesota mention it?  Perhaps you could ask her?

David
In reply to David Huston

by David Sturrock -
Have you though about using the Q & A forum type in 1.6? This enables a someone to post a question and others need to post their own reply before they can see anyone else's reply. Combine it with "no discussions but replies allowed" to have the teacher lead the discussion.
In reply to David Sturrock

by David Huston -
Thank you, David.

That's exactly what I remember hearing about at the GDA MoodleMoot in June, but I couldn't remember, and since we haven't installed 1.6 I hadn't seen this feature myself.

I'm looking forward to using it this fall.