What to do? Start button disappeared!

What to do? Start button disappeared!

by Maria B. -
Number of replies: 8
After canceling confirm start attempt time limit, start button disappeard for all students and all quizes. Direct link attempt.php still work, but there is no Start button on view.php page???

Moodle 1.6.1
In reply to Maria B.

Re: What to do? Start button disappeared!

by Maria B. -
I had to delete these lines:

$strconfirmstartattempt = confirm_string($kolokvijum->timelimit, $kolokvijum->attempts);

function confirm_string($timelimit, $attempts) {
        if ($timelimit && $attempts) {
            return addslashes(get_string("confirmstartattempttimelimit","kolokvijum", $attempts));
        } else if ($timelimit) {
            return addslashes(get_string("confirmstarttimelimit","kolokvijum"));
        } else if ($attempts) {
            return addslashes(get_string("confirmstartattemptlimit","kolokvijum", $attempts));
        }
        return "";
    }

But, there is still this alert warning (blank - no text, just OK and Cancel buttons).
How to stop it? I do not want any warning. To much trouble.

In reply to Maria B.

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers की तस्वीर Documentation writers की तस्वीर Particularly helpful Moodlers की तस्वीर Peer reviewers की तस्वीर Plugin developers की तस्वीर

This is related to a known issue. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=50035

I have created a fix for this issue, and added it to 1.7dev. However, the old code was a bit of a mess, so I took the opportunity to clean it up and make it easier to understand.

Therefore the change was quite big, and I am waiting for some people to test the changes in 1.7dev, and confirm they are safe before I add them to the stable version 1.6.1.

Are you able to test 1.7 dev for me. I think you will find that the change you want to make (hiding the pop-up warning) is much easier after my changes.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Maria B. -
Well, then.
I have tested fresh new version of Moodle 1.7 that I had downloaded earlier today and till now everything seems to be OK.

To avoid warning, I deleted this:
       $strconfirmstartattempt =  '';

if ($unfinished) {
            $buttontext = get_string('continueattemptquiz', 'quiz');
        } else {
            if ($numattempts) {
                $buttontext = get_string('reattemptquiz', 'quiz');
            } else {
                $buttontext = get_string('attemptquiznow', 'quiz');
            }

}

But, perhaps, you may put this option within quiz edit panel and let creators decide if they want warning or not.

Tested on localhost:

database mysql version 4.1.16 is required and you are running 5.0.21
php
version 4.3.0 is required and you are running 5.1.4
In reply to Maria B.

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers की तस्वीर Documentation writers की तस्वीर Particularly helpful Moodlers की तस्वीर Peer reviewers की तस्वीर Plugin developers की तस्वीर
What? You want to add MORE options to the edit quiz screen!

Don't worry, I am joking, but there is a serious point behind it. In software, more configuration options definitely does not mean better. And in this case, it is definitely an option too far.

Except of course, with open source software, everything is optional, if you can find someone to edit the code for you.

Anyway, thank you very much for testing this for me. I'll check this change in tomorrow, when I am in my office.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Right. This is checked in now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Maria B. -
Hi again!
I have noticed a new problem tonight.
Using IE 6.0 (FF works fine and no problem at all) and my web server (localhost also works fine).

Quiz had time limit. I had waited till time elapsing and then - "negative time" started countdown from 2h (this time was seted as default time for quiz modul).

I had no control over the page, every second quiz sent data to base without refreshing page. Just like some kind of loop. I had to close the window to stop it.

Report shows some crazy duration for attempts.

From my C panel:
Operating system Linux
Apache version 1.3.36 (Unix)
PHP version 4.4.2                                  -  Moodle shows: 4.3.0
MySQL version 4.1.19-standard-log          - Moodle shows: 4.1.16

Moodle 1.6.1 and 1.7 dev

In reply to Maria B.

by David Ha -

I have the same problem even with 3 seconds left on the clock.

My set-up:

Windows Server 2003 with IIS6
PHP version 5.0.4
MySQL 5.0.24

Moodle 1.6.2