General help

Pages load very slowly

Picture of John Isner
Pages load very slowly

I have a 1.6+ site that was responding very quickly until about ten days ago.  Suddenly, every page (even the login page!) began taking 15-20 seconds to display.  There has been no increase in usage.  In fact, the site has almost no traffic since I'm the only user and I use it just for prototyping.  It's not the server or the network because other (non-moodle) pages from the same server load almost instantaneously.  I have tried different browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera).  I have tried emptying the cache and deleting cookies.  Nothing I do changes the response time.

I have read the many posts on this topic in this forum.  I am not using RSS or chat.  The mdl_cache_text table is small--only two rows with a few hundred bytes.  I'm not sure what the PHP memory limit is (I'm waiting for my Web host to get back to me with the number), but unless they lowered it abruptly, it is probably adequate.

There is only thing that had changed at the time the slow up occurred.  I deactivated the mimetex filter and installed the jsMath filter.  In fact, the first time the filter worked, I noticed how slowly the page loaded.  However others who use jsMath do not report such problems.  I tried deactivating both filters, but it does not help.

Is there  anything you can suggest to help me debug this problem?   I have a feeling that a well-placed debug statement on the front page would identify the problem.  Unfortunately, I don't know my way around the moodle code and wouldn't know where to put it.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jan Dierckx
Re: Pages load very slowly

I have also experienced filters slowing down a site. One solution I can think of is in increasing the cache time for filters.

(Go to the admin/filters.php page of your site to find this setting)

Picture of John Isner

I increased the filter cache time from 1 minute to 10 minutes, but did not see any change. 

According to phpinfo(), my PHP memory limit is 32M.

Picture of John Isner

As an experiment, I turned off javascript in my browser. My pages now load almost instantaneously. I guess Moodle uses javascript (I know jsMath does), so this is not a solution. Again, turning off the jsMath filter by itself does not make the pages load any faster. I am sure it is the javascript.

Picture of Keith Wilkinson

I had a similar problem with my frontpage taking ages to load. I had transfered my production site to my test server at home. There were numerous elements on the page that looked for the original server (images, flash presentations) as they were not actually part of moodle. Removing them improved the speed very slightly - however, I had some settings in the configuration (such as a proxy server) which again looked for the original machine. Removing these put my test site back to full speed.

Picture of Markus Koller

We have the same problems here. Javascript activated slows down the moodle pageload dramaticaly. ..and yes, it is a fresh install of moodle on a fresh server. Is this by design?