New and confused...

New and confused...

by Robyn Elizabeth Tilley -
Number of replies: 7

Hi everyone! I'm very new to using this software and I'm running into a few problems.

Please excuse me if I don't use the correct terminology as I'm not very "computer oriented". <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I'm currently using moodle to create an online course that will be used for distance education. I am trying to add a section on the main page where students can go and store their quiz results, test results, assignments etc. I want each student to have their own "file" that will be private to everyone else but them and the facilitators. If this is possible, could someone please give me some direction of how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robyn Elizabeth Tilley

Re: New and confused...

by Don Schwartz -
"I am trying to add a section on the main page where students can go and store their quiz results, test results, assignments etc. I want each student to have their own "file" "

That line sounds like it is straight out of the Blackboard Patent.  Phishing?

I don't think Moodle does this.
In reply to Don Schwartz

I'm sorry, I don't know what the blackboard patent is. And I didn't know what phishing was until I googled it and can assure you that is NOT what I'm doing. I just don't know much about computers.

Thank you anyway for your help.

I was also wondering if it is possible to post a schedule in a discussion forum. This would be almost like a calendar where I could post dates for activities such as one on one online discussions with the facilitator and students could sign up for a time.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks.

by Heather P -
Why not use the calendar block in Moodle to put the activity dates on your course as they will display to everyone in that course.
Your facilitators can see the results of quizzes etc if they were built using the tools within Moodle without the needfor you to create a special page.

Have you visited the demo course - there is a link on the home page of ww.moodle.org in the top topic box. It will give you a good overview of what goeson in Moodle.

Have fun.

by Steve Power -

Robyn

Have you looked at the scheduler module here? This works well for setting up f2f sessions and I do not see why it could not be used for on-line too.

Regards
Steve

by Steve Power -

Robyn

There is a File Manager block (see here) which allows students to upload and share files. Unfortunately it does not work in 1.6 yet but if you are using an older version it might help.

Regards
Steve

In reply to Steve Power

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm going to play around with it and see what I can do.

Thanks again,

Robyn