Idea : an ajax HTML editor will be great

Idea : an ajax HTML editor will be great

Philippe Ramette -
Number of replies: 8
It wil be great that somebody create or find an HTML editor with ajax technology. like this one : http://www.ajaxlaunch.com/ajaxwrite/

When you use this editor, you will never come back to the old one.

Any suggestions ??
Վարկանիշների միջին թիվը. -
In reply to Philippe Ramette

Re: Idea : an ajax HTML editor will be great

M Y -
I think that is a great idea. I agree, I would never go back.

--Martin
In reply to M Y

Marcus Green -
Core developers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը Testers Նկարը
What benefit does AJAX bring to the use of an editor?
In reply to Marcus Green

Jan Dierckx -

One benefit I see is how it would enable you to edit part of a course without having to reload the page.

Instead of ...

• click the pencil icon

• wait for reload of the page

• edit the text, hit Save

• wait for the reload of the page

one could just click on an icon (or even double click the text itself) and then be allowed to edit it. The changed text is then submitted to Moodle's database without the page needing reloading.

(Dojo has a nice Rich text editor widget but unfortunately dojo is too hard to grasp (or at least too difficult to me to use it)

Problem with an ajax editor is that you would need to load the HTML editor on almost any Moodle page even if you would not use it.

The editor (or wordprocessor) mentioned in this discussion is not usable because of this. The site mentions a 6 second downloas as a benefit (!!). It is a huge 400 Kb download, which according to me is unacceptable for an editor, even if most browsers would cache it.

One alternative that I find promising is to use plain textarea's with ajax submit, because they don't have huge loading times. You can use Moodle's markdown syntax to write links, lists, styled text, ... or you can use something like Xinha! a Firefox (sorry only Firefox խառն եմ) addon which enables you to use a Rich text editor in every textarea. The addon is part of your browser so doesn't need to be loaded.

Michael Goncharenko -

Does that editor:

1. Allow to insert images into document via copy-paste?
  2. Provide better functionality that HTMLArea and TinyMCE both? (e.g., not leaving <strong> tags so I need to travel through the code looking for them)
  3. Work under IE? Not every user is able/permitted to install mozilla-firefox.
  4. NOT crash my browser (and all its open tabs!!) when I insert there an image from Adobe Photoshop with Ctrl-C - Ctrl-V?

If not, there's no reason to use that editor. Even if it's AJAX.

In reply to Michael Goncharenko

Jan Dierckx -

I doubt if it would ever be possible to copy paste images like that. Somehow the image has to get on the server Moodle is on, so you need to somehow upload it... խառն եմ

Would of course be extremely useful...

Janne Mikkonen -
It doesn't help much if the editor has "save 'n' continue" kind of "ajax" functionality. Moodle has to support it too ( data has to come back to editor ).

First step should be to define "which" parts of Moodle should support this functionality?

- Janne -