Assignment module won't save comments and grades

Assignment module won't save comments and grades

by Jeanine Lum -
Number of replies: 3
We recently upgraded to 1.6 and one of our instructors is having problems with the assignment module not saving comments and grade for students.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Many thanks in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeanine Lum

Re: Assignment module won't save comments and grades

by A. T. Wyatt -
Well, it probably sounds silly, but I have to ask if the instructor actually saved the grades/comments.  I also would like to ask whether or not the instructor was using gradebook plus or some other gradebook enhancements.  And what version of Moodle you are using.

Here is my story--one instructor was not saving comments and grades.  The list of students was long and the instructor was also interrupted.  We finally decided that this person just closed the window or hit the back button, and did NOT actually save the grades.  No one else had the problem, and we could not replicate it.

The second time this happened, we had an instructor who was using "edit grades" (from gradebook plus) in the gradebook in one window and the assignment grading interface in a second window.  We finally decided that having two open at once like that caused a problem when writing to the database (or, more likely, re-wrote old information because of the order in which they were saved).

You might want to see if you can replicate the problem a couple of times.  Note carefully what is happening, and then add that information to your question! If only one instructor is having the problem, then it probably isn't your system.

Hope you figure it out!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Jeanine Lum -
Thanks for replying.

We are using 1.6, no special modules that I know of, but I will investigate.

I went into the instructor's course and added a "dummy" student. In the Assignment Module I selected Grade on the right column, added a comment and selected a grade. I then selected SAVE CHANGES in the window. All the previous grading and comments of the students were visible along with my "dummy" student grade/comment.

THEN, (probably the problem?) I selected SAVE PREFERENCES at the bottom of the Assignment Submissions page (the window that is opened after you edit a grade/comment in Assignment Module). I selected SAVE PREFERENCES mostly out of habit of saving at the bottom of pages in Moodle.

It appears this might reset all the previous grades and comments for all her graded students!

Anyone know if the Save Preferences on the bottom of Assignment Submission grading resets everything?

I should have done this in a "dummy course" (instead of a live course)! Now who is the dummy?

In reply to Jeanine Lum

by A. T. Wyatt -
Save preferences didn't clear anything on mine.  I tried it. (on a dummy course!)  I was using Firefox.

Save preference saves your quickgrade setting (yes or no) and how many students you want listed on a page.  It shouldn't clear any values entered in the grading portion.

Does this happen on multiple courses?  WIth multiple browsers?  With multiple sessions?

Very strange!

atw