New Theme: Imagine

New Theme: Imagine

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 31
I have finally released my second theme to the community again aimed at shaking up the image of moodle as a bland interface.

The Imagine theme, originally developed for moodle.com.au is designed to make a bold statement with clean lines and vibrant colors while still maintaining a professional look.

It is a 'fixed width' theme with a variety of options. You will need at least 1.5.x for this theme to work.

Demo's of two variations of this theme can be seen at:
- http://playpen.monte.nsw.edu.au
- http://smc.monte.nsw.edu.au

I have included the necessary PSD files for those who wish to edit the logo and main image files.

I must apologies in advance for my initial lack of forum support on this release as I am currently busy setting up the Sydney Moodle Conference. However I hope most issues are covered by the included readme.

I will respond to forum posts as soon as I can. Please be patient.

The theme is available for downloads from the new Themes Database
Julian
Attachment screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: New Theme: Imagine

by Just Dave -

Wow, this is a awesome theme! Thanks for your efforts Julian!

Cheers,
Dave

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Grrreat theme Julian!
I've decidet to use in my future site on september.
By the way I'd like to change the fixed width to make it wider, is possible to do it without hacking so much? I'haven't played much with themes stuff.
Cheers
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Julian Ridden -

Well yes and no.

Yes it could easily be done. A couple of simple changes, however.

Items such as the promo image on the homepage are fixed width. By going variable width you would have to drop that feature. Not a biggie if you dont want it.

by tm tm -

hi julian

very nice theme. actually i also want it to be 100% in wodth , i tried but could not fix it as  i am new to the moodle. could you please guid me to fix it and i don't need promo image also.

Regards,

Tahir

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Julian,
yes I did it, it took 5 minutes changing sizes of tables. The only thing I could not keep right is the grey fade out of the right margin, but its cute anyway.
This theme is awesome but I need at least 1024 pixels, cause I always use the largest fonts on my firefox big grin.
Regards
Ludo
ps. did you already gave me teacher access in the playpen?

Slight modifications

by Reggie Ryan -
This is a great theme, one which I've used for our school's new Moodle site. I really like the fact that is 'breaks the mold' of your typical themes.

After installation I ran into some small issues with the fixed width. I've made some minor adjustments, mainly with the htmlarea text input that seemed to break the width on my site. Here are the changes I've made:

Modified Dfwiki to work with fixed width theme. Modifications were:

Change mod\wiki\editor.php- Change line 169: echo 'pagename.'" name="dfformcontent" rows="40" cols="85">';

Fixed HTMLArea plugin to work with fixed width theme. Modifications were:

Modify lib\editor\htmlarea.php- change line 774: width = Math.max(parseInt(width), 425);

I am so far from an expert so all I can say is that these seem to work for me. Thanks for the work and sharing Julian...

Reggie
In reply to Reggie Ryan

Re: Slight modifications

by Julian Ridden -
Thanks for the comments Reggie.

Once the sydney moodle conference is over Ill hopefully try and get some more themes to the community.

If Martin says it's ok Ill see if I can get Clouds and Imagine added to the 1.7 release. About time we started shipping with some more vibrant themes.

by Geof Duncan -
Julian

I LOVE the "Super Moodle" logo you used at http://smc.monte.nsw.edu.au/. Any chance you might release that logo for us Photoshop challenged people?

-Geof
In reply to Geof Duncan

by Will Taylor -
I notice that the poster (right sideblock down the page a ways), in .pdf format, has a large image of this - you could open it and kype the image off the .pdf document using a screen capture program like SnagIt - i.e., if SMM (super moodle man) doesn't mind ...
In reply to Will Taylor

by Julian Ridden -
Sorry I havent had a chance to respond. It is getting very busy here as we get closer to the conference.

You can use the image. I have no problems. Cant find my original PSD right at the moment  but I am sure it is somewhere. Fel free to grab it from the pdf if that helps.

by Chad Outten -
Top job, Julian! New theme displays nicely on PDA with fixed width at 760px with 2 columns. Cheers, Chad big grin

by Muata Kamdibe -
Julian,

This theme is awesome and you are a great theme designer because configuring this was easier than starting with the Moodle Standard theme IMO.  LOL!  I'm doing a presentation on Moodle tomorrow at my school, where there is a little resistance to change from WebCT, so I developed my presentation "portal" using this theme:  www.riomoodle.com
Hey, how do you convert this theme into a three column theme?  I'm still a noob at theme design?  shy

Thanks again Julian for designing such an awesome and highly configurable theme!

Muata
In reply to Muata Kamdibe

by Julian Ridden -
Thanks for the feedback. It is actually allready a three column theme. Just make sure you have a block in both the left and right columns and it will become three columns. Hard huh? wink

Martin has agreed to putting imagine into the 1.7 release if I can clean up the code in time.

by sina salehi -

Dear julian

My language is right to left and I have "rtl" in the html tag of my site so with this Imagine theme, my moodle site was shown olio.

Would you tell me how I can change the theme to fix it for right to left language?

Regards,

by Jonatán Haley -
Beyond the usual differences between IE and Firefox, any idea why my background images compress in this version (still in development) of the Imagine theme in IE and not in Firefox? It appears that somehow the tables are doing something weird with the inside margins. http://themetest.escuelafieide.net/

At the same time, I should say that in another area of the site it works correctly in IE. I'm baffled.
In reply to Jonatán Haley

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
> why my background images compress in this version

What do you mean exactly by "compress" ?

I've been to your site front page and it looks exactly the same both in Firefox and IE (Windows).

Perhaps you could post a screen shot showing your problem?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jonatán Haley -

Joseph,

Thanks for responding. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been on the road.

I've attached a jpg of the way I'm seeing it in IE6. The top image show the blue lines between table cells on the home page and you can see that the on the left and right sides the image "compresses" in a few pixels. Somehow it is making it fit "inside" the cell. The bottom image in the jpg shows how I'm seeing a course in IE6 using the same background images (bg_middle.jpg and bg.right_jpg) for the the middle and right colums. Yet here, they display perfectly and line up seamlessly.

Any thoughts? 

Attachment lines.jpg
In reply to Jonatán Haley

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Jonatán,
Now I see the problem. It looks like you have extra blue borders in MSIE. There is not much I can do about it unless you send me your modified theme so I can test it out locally.
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg

by Wez Morris -
Hello, I've just started looking at the imagine theme and I've encountered a problem with the messaging contacts window.

The fixed width aspect of the theme seems to strech the content of the contacts window, while the window stays the default size.

Does anyone know a way around this?
Attachment messaging.jpg
In reply to Wez Morris

by Joseph Rézeau -
Add this CSS rule at the end of your theme's styles_layout.css files:
body#message-index table {
  width:auto;
}
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg

by Michael Tudor -

I've installed and modified this theme for our new moodle site and I think it looks great, as it turns out the theme was already very close in appearence to out main webpage (fixed width etc) so it was the perfect choice. Thanks for the great work.

http://moodle.pihms.ac.nz

www.pihms.ac.nz

The only problem we are having is that the calander border is behaving rather strangely if you move the mouse over the calander it draws another bar, if I refresh the page or minimise and restore the window it also goes back to normal.

We are running Moodle 1.6

calander

In reply to Michael Tudor

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Michael,

This "bug" is visible in MSIE, there is no problem in FireFox. Conclusion: change for Firefox.wink

Joseph

In reply to Michael Tudor

by Michael Tudor -
Thats good enough for me then smile I was worried I'd botched something up with the theme. Thanks for the help

by Stephen Plume -
Joseph, many thanks for this fix.  Is there a similar fix for the actual pop up box where you type the message?  This is still an odd size for me...

Attachment messagescreenie.jpg
In reply to Stephen Plume

by andy choo -

Hi Stephen,

Wondering whether you have this problem rectified? Cos I just download and install the Imagine Theme and also encounter the same problem.

Regards,

Andy

In reply to andy choo

by Stephen Plume -
Afraid not, I switched back to another theme for now with a view to making my own when I have the time to get my head round how.

Thanks
In reply to Stephen Plume

by Pamela Giles -
Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem of the chopped-off user photo and information? I love the theme, but this message thing is a problem.

It looks to me that the problem might be that it's printing the site's top identifying graphics from the top of the site (i.e., the blue and orange bar in Stephen's graphic above), which is then taking up half the space that should be allowed for the student's picture. When I change the theme of my site to, say, Standard White, nothing is printed at the top of the message window except the student's photo and name, etc.

I can't figure out how to fix it, though. I'd be grateful if someone else could.
In reply to Pamela Giles

by Jonathan Lewis -

Hi -

I've been fiddling around with this, and it seems to be fixed, though I haven't tested it in any other browsers.

In styles_layout.css I inserted:

body#message-user table {
width:auto;
}

(with thanks to Joseph above for the tip).

Then (using trial and error) I adjusted the size of the frameset in message/discussion.php to

<frameset rows="300,0,0,200" border="0" marginwidth="2" marginheight="1">

Result:

Discussion window

It still looks pretty fiddly at the top, but it's better than nothing...

In reply to Jonathan Lewis

by Jonathan Lewis -
Now - does anyone know how to fix the help windows, most of which also pop up the wrong width?

by Peter Campbell -
I want to change the orange accent color underneath block_header_bg.gif to make it a different color. I have tried to figure out if this is a repeated pixel, an image, or a CSS trick. Have had no success trying to figure it out.

Sooo . . . help! Where is the reference to this orange? And what is it -- pixel, image, or CSS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter