YouTube (etc), Keepvid and "Super" for a multi media Moodle

YouTube (etc), Keepvid and "Super" for a multi media Moodle

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 3

YouTube has lots of video material useful for teaching a myriad things (as well as most pop videos from my youth). Streamed flv files hosted at YouTube can probably be embedded into Moolde web page resources. But videos hosted there have a tendency to disappear, or not load properly.

You can use "KeepVid" or better still the bookmarklet from a Browser link

javasKript:document.location='http://keepvid.com/lite/bookmarklet/?url='+escape(window.location);

(change "K" in the word "javasKript" to a "c")to download the videos from YouTube (and similar) as .flv files.

Then you can use "Super" a free yet very powerful programme to convert from .flv to .swf, or indeed, from anything to anything. Swf files can easily be embedded into Moodle pages.

Here is an example of a video obtained in this way, by

, used WITHOUT permission (I will remove it immediately if required, please email me at tim at nihonbunka.com) chosed because it was the shortest video at YouTube with the tag "moodle." I am not sure why it has the tag moodle.

PS Other video sites are
Angry Alien, ArtistDirect, Blastro, Blennus, Blip.tv, Bofunk, Bolt, Break.com, Castpost, Current TV, Dailymotion, DevilDucky, FindVideos, Free Video Blog, Google Video, Grinvi, Grouper, iFilm, LuluTV, Metacafe, Midis.biz, Music.com, MusicVideoCodes.info, MySpace, MySpace Video Code, Newgrounds, PcPlanets, Pixparty, Putfile, REVVER, Sharkle, StreetFire, That Video Site, The One Network, VideoCodes4U, VideoCodesWorld, VideoCodeZone, vidiLife, VIDNET.com, Vimeo, vSocial, Web62.com, YouTube and ZippyVideos.

Should this be in tips and tricks? It is not a moodle tip exactly.

Tim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: YouTube (etc), Keepvid and "Super" for a multi media Moodle

by A. T. Wyatt -
This is very useful!  Maybe we need a place for "great resources"!

atw
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Benoit Brosseau -
there is also a nice extension for firefox called videodownloader that can save .flv whit a simple right click 
In reply to Benoit Brosseau

by Timothy Takemoto -
There is a plugin for Maxthon too for downloading video. I use the bookmarklet above.