Portals and Moodle

Portals and Moodle

by Matt Morton-Allen -
Number of replies: 4
Hi Group,

We're currently in the process of evaluating Moodle as a potential replacement for our LMS. One of the jobs we'd have to do if we went with Moodle would be to integrate elements of the LMS with our overarching "enterprise portal".

The basic thinking being that the portal is the gateway to the intranet and the LMS (Moodle in this case) is the gateway to the learning environment.

Has anyone done any work in getting information out of Moodle and into a portal? Specifically has anyone used standards like WSRP or JSR-168 to create standards friendlly ways to connect them up?

Thanks
Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Morton-Allen

Re: Portals and Moodle

by Bryan Williams -
Georgetown University in the US is looking at this right now as they approach uPortal/Moodle integration. Point person for information on this project is Jim Farmer (jxf@immagic.com).

Also of interest is the Zend framework announced in January for a WSRP/JSR-168 like structure for the PHP community. There are already a significant number of components that have been contributed to the Zend framework initiative.
In reply to Matt Morton-Allen

by Geri Ayers -

I see these were posted in 2006. Does anyone have any recent information on the use of jsr-168 with Moodle?

In reply to Geri Ayers

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There has been movement on adding web services but it is not particularly focussed on JSR-168. The word portlet is not widely used in the world of Moodle.

In reply to Geri Ayers

by Drew Blessing -

I was astonished to find that there was no Moodle portlet out there.  It's impossible to think that no one has developed one.  At least they aren't sharing if they have.

We decided to develop one in-house and have begun that process.  We plan to have at least the first version finished by mid-July.  I am unsure of our plans to contribute this project at this time.  I will keep the community posted when a decision is made.