More enhancements to Matching questions

More enhancements to Matching questions

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have fixed Matching questions so that they work when different questions have the same answer. (This used not to work different copies of each answer string were assigned different integerid, and the ids where used in comparisons, so, for example, with two identical answers, the student had a 50% chance of getting them the wrong way round.)

Obviously, this is in version 1.7 dev only.

This (an my previous improvement to this question type) means you can do questions like this: (GIFT format)
// question: 3  name: Classify the words
::Classify the words::What type of word are each of the following?{
	=Parrot -> Noun
	=Cease -> Verb
	=Blue -> Adjective
	=Dead -> Adjective
	=Maker -> Noun
	=Fjord -> Noun
	=Expire -> Verb
	=Meet -> Verb
	= -> Adverb
	= -> Preposition
}
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: More enhancements to Matching questions

by Rob Hindman -
Wow, that will be very nice... a huge improvement.  Currently I'm having to manually construct these types of questions using the Embedded Answers question type.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by N Hansen -
Tim-Do I understand this correctly, the adverb and preposition are thrown in there as distractors but don't actually match with any words? Can you show us an example of what your example would look like for the student?
In reply to N Hansen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

1- Same as N Hansen, I do not see what the adverb and preposition are doing here, even as distracters.

2- Actually, it would make more sense if only one of all identical answers was displayed in the drop-down list, as in screen shot #2. Tim, is this improvement possible?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

Attachment image-0000.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

2. Is how it works already. See the screenshot below.

1. They are extra distractors. I think it makes perfect sense to give the teacher the option of adding extra wrong answers, if they think that is appropriate to their question. Of course, they can just ignore this extra possibility if you don't want to use it.

Attachment matching.png
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oops, yes it works in 1.7 dev (not in 1.6) as mentioned by Tim at the start of this thread.
Joseph blush
In reply to Tim Hunt

by N Hansen -
That sounds good. As someone else mentioned, this will be a good replacement for some types of cloze questions-although the cloze question I would have used it to replace I have already replaced with the new drag and drop question type because that was even better than the cloze or this new matching type for what I wanted to do.

But one aspect of cloze questions that I like is the ability to make two questions in one. For instance, I have cloze questions with two parts. The student is presented with a verb, and then they are asked to select the root type of the verb, and whether it is transitive or intransitive. They choose these from the dropdown lists. They are laid out in a single box together, which looks nice The new matching question requires that the set of answers be the same, so this wouldn't work. I'd have to make two separate questions in two boxes to recreate this.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vikram Solia -
Great addition Tim,

It's a pity it didn't get included in the help file for GIFT format. I ended up adding a line or two for getting extra distractors and then it was while trying a find an appropriate forum that I bumped here.

Thanks again.