Selective permissions for forums within a course

Selective permissions for forums within a course

by Tony Delahunty -
Number of replies: 2

Have searched in vain for someone who's tried to do this, but no doubt you are out there....  Can I give permission to post to a forum to a specific student, and no others? 

Basically I want everyone within the course to be able to view and read (not reply to) a forum, but give posting permissions to just one or two users.   In particular, we could use this for forums on the front page, using them as announcements boards, letting specific support staff update them (but without exposing to those staff all the other forums on the front page) .

Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Delahunty

Re: Selective permissions for forums within a course

by Juan Marín -
have you probed to create groups?
Add to "post" group the people you want to post forums. and Set group variable in FORUM to "visible groups".
In reply to Juan Marín

Re: Selective permissions for forums within a course

by Tony Delahunty -

Thanks for this, Juan: it does give me part of what we want (a forum that some can post to but all can see), but adds in something we don't want (a forum that all can post to and see - i.e. the one for the 'All participants' group)

So: is there anyway of turning off the 'all participants' group activity that the 'visible group' setting shows.  We just want one forum visible to all, but editable by the selected group.

And (being a bit picky now) can we not have a Discussions but No Replies setting (the other Discussions/replies combinations are all available) for forums?

Tony