horizontal lines in web pages

horizontal lines in web pages

by Helen Walmsley -
Number of replies: 4

I've been creating simple resource pages with the html editor in Moodle 1.5.4 and keep getting a strange bug. If I add a horizontal line to separate sections of text it is sometimes moved to the bottom of the page when I open the resource!

The problem seems to reduce if I add the horizontal line last and don't edit the page further before saving it, but even this doesn't always work.

I am in the process of editing and improving my pages all the time, can anyone suggest a way to get the lines to stay put?!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Walmsley

Re: horizontal lines in web pages

by Lady 800cc -

I can't tell you.  The HTML editor has so many wierd issues. These are the ones that bother me the most:

-Automatic double line when the "enter" key is used instead of going to the very next line. This is especial annoying if you have lines that are a couple of words long, but you want them to be listed one right after another without a space in between. ie:

-Hi all [click enter key for new line]

-How did I get down here instead of just under the first line

-Here I am down here again sad

The only way to fix this is to go into the code and remove the <p></p> tags that are ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

In reply to Lady 800cc

by Kay Patterson -

ALL  HTML editors do that as it is not a word processor as such and you by pressing return are giving it the command to start new para.

Hold down shift and enter to just wrap around
like this.

OK?

In reply to Kay Patterson

by Lady 800cc -

Hold down the shift key
and enter?
YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!  big grin
Thanks!!
By the way, Homesite does not do that.  That's why I still
use it in addition or as a supplement to other web editors, because it never enters unwanted or extra html code.

In reply to Lady 800cc

by Joseph Rézeau -
Gambar Core developers Gambar Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar Plugin developers Gambar Testers Gambar Translators

Well, pressing SHIFT+ Enter is a pretty standard way of creating what is called a "soft carriage return" in most word processors and also HTML editors (e.g. Dreamweaver). Below is the HTML code, followed by the WYSIWIG result. The <br /> tag is created by SHIFT+RETURN.

<p>this is a one-line paragraph</p>
<p>this is a new one-line paragraph</p>
<p>this is another line <br />
  immediately followed by yet another line
</p>

this is a one-line paragraph

this is a new one-line paragraph

this is another line
immediately followed by yet another line

Please note, however, that the soft carriage return (or <br /> tag) should be used sparingly, and CSS formatting should be preferred if one wants a number of successive lines which are not to be considered as paragraphs. For example, use list formatting (with or without bullets, numbers, etc.)
<ul>
  <li>this is line 1 in a bullet list </li>
  <li>this is line 2 in the same list </li>
</ul>
  • this is line 1 in a bullet list
  • this is line 2 in the same list
<ul style="list-style:none">
  <li>this is line 1 in a non-bullet list</li>
  <li>this is line 2 in the same list  </li>
</ul>
  • this is line 1 in a non-bullet list
  • this is line 2 in the same list