Can Moodle do some WEB CT things like make organizer pages?

Can Moodle do some WEB CT things like make organizer pages?

by Joel Donna -
Number of replies: 2

I'm trying to develop an online induction/mentoring program for new teachers. We were given a course to play around with from our university. The problem is I'm trying to develop "modules" off the main course page. WebCT allows you to create content folders called organizer pages in which you can put... content like chats, links, stuff! I love Moodle but really like to move some of the stuff off my main course page!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joel Donna

Re: Can Moodle do some WEB CT things like make organizer pages?

by Ger Tielemans -

In the new Moodle 1.6 every normal user gets his own My Page. On that page they get an overview of their current courses and they can choose the blocks they wish to have on the left and the right of that overview.

Why not "fill" several blocks with your specific wishes, so you can "advise" users which courses and blocks fits their learning needs on this moment?

(There is a very good documentation about how to create a block.) 

In reply to Joel Donna

Re: Can Moodle do some WEB CT things like make organizer pages?

by David Delgado -
You can do that with contents (internal or external), just creating a "resource" being a web page. There you can put links to other resources. This reduces de number of links in the main course page. It is very similar to what you need, but you will not be able to link activities that are not in the main page of the course.

Anyway, the "natural" way to create organizer pages in Moodle is just to put links in the sections of the course (being weeks or topics). Each section is something like a organizer page, but all them are in the main page of the course. This allows you to use course activities and resources (contents).

Hope this helps. We sometimes use WebCT to develop online courses, but our main e-learning tool is Moodle. I think that, in general, is much more powerful and simple.