How To Create A New Quiz

How To Create A New Quiz

by Tyler Gillen -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

The only problem I have with creating a new quiz is that it wants a file name and file location, yet I have no clue what that is. Also when I try to make a file name it tells me an error message that it couldn't locate the file or something, I am totally confused... :-\

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tyler Gillen

Re: How To Create A New Quiz

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetins, Tyler!

It sounds as though you are trying to import questions.  Do you really want to just create questions?  Both methods are possible!

Perhaps something here will help you?
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Quizzes

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Tyler Gillen -
Hi,
     I took a look at it but it didn't tell me what to do when it says "Could not create XML tree: missing course or reference".
In reply to Tyler Gillen

by A. T. Wyatt -
That sounds over my head.  Sorry!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Tyler Gillen -

Yea, I know!!! Can someone help!?!?

In reply to Tyler Gillen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tyler,

You have not answered A.T. Wyatt's important question:

> It sounds as though you are trying to import questions.  Do you really want to just create questions?  Both methods are possible!

What did you do exactly (step-by-step) before you got that message "Could not create XML tree: missing course or reference"?

If you do not tell us exactly what you are doing, how do you expect to get help? wink

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tyler Gillen -
Hi,
    I would go to the course page and click create new activity. Then I would click the 'Hot Potatoes Quiz'. Then I would fill in everything except the file name and folder (as I have no clue what that is). Then I would click submit and it would give me that error, I have tried typing in lots of things but have no clue what to put, as it gives me that error.
In reply to Tyler Gillen

by Tyler Gillen -

And no I am not wanting to put in the course questions I want to just type them in.

In reply to Tyler Gillen

by A. T. Wyatt -
Well, if you are USING hot potatoes, then you should generate a file FROM that program.  This is the file that you upload into moodle.  That is an import situation.

If you want to just make a quiz, then  choose the quiz activity.  That is NOT the same as Hot Potatoes quiz.  Set up the properties, and then EDIT the quiz (which allows you to make the questions).

See instructions here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/mod/quiz/edit

But if that doesn't help, then I am at a loss.  I can't quite understand what you are doing.  Both Hot Potatoes quiz and Quiz are listed in the activities.  I think you might be selecting the wrong one.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Tyler Gillen -
Oh, so hot potatoes is a program? OH! Where do you get the program at?
In reply to Tyler Gillen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That is much more clear now. Other than using Hot Potatoes to create quizzes you can use Moodle's own Quiz & Questions tools.

on a Course page -> click Add an activity -> select Quiz option -> fill in Quiz parameters -> Save changes. You are taken to the Quiz Edit page, where you can create your questions, one by one, selecting question type, etc. then add your questions to your quiz, etc.

And again, this is explained at length in the documentation. wink

All the best,

Joseph