Problem installing 1.6 from a USB stick, Windows XP

by Roger Crider -
Number of replies: 18
I have downloaded, unzip, saved to a USB stick, Moodle 1.6.  I have successfully started apache and mysql.  when i go to the localhost page I get a language box with an error message.  I am unsure of why this is happening.
Any suggestions?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Crider

Re: Problem installing 1.6 from a USB stick, Windows XP

by Ray Lawrence -
Yes, it's probably best to get to grips with a "standard" Moodle installation first before trying out these variants.  smile

My reply to your post yesterday may help.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Roger Crider -
I am trying variants because nothing is working.  It says that the package is the simplest installation and it has all the components.  So far I am not impressed with the "simplicity" of installing Moodle.
thanks for your help.
In reply to Roger Crider

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Roger,

Stick with it, it'll be worth it. smile

I can still remember trying to fathom things out for the first time many years back. I've installed locally many times, this method is still the best IMO. If you follow this step by step you should be OK. Come back here if you have any queries or suggestions to improve these instructions.

Ray

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Meera S -

Hi,

Am hoping you can help with what i am sure is a basic problem to many;

I'm installing Moodle in USB as mentioned in installation guid

Moodle for Windows on a USB Memory Stick,

I'm installing WOS

Have downloaded and unzipped onto my stick which is F.

However when I try to start, Apache is not running

MySQl is running....

Please could you help. Basic instructions please as am a simple sole.

Many thanks

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Meera S -
Hi,

Am hoping you can help with what i am sure is a basic problem to many;

I'm installing Moodle in USB as mentioned in installation guid

Moodle for Windows on a USB Memory Stick,

I'm installing WOS

Have downloaded and unzipped onto my stick which is F.

However when I try to start, Apache is not running

MySQl is running....

Please could you help. Basic instructions please as am a simple sole.
Regards
Meera S
In reply to Roger Crider

by Brett Drinkwater -
Roger,

Did you start apache and mysql manually or with the WOS admin panel?
Prior to loading localhost into your browser, did you run the start.exe file from the root folder of the zip? I'm pretty sure this is the part that sets the inital language paths. You need to run that file on the USB and not before moving to the stick.

Hope that helps.

Brett
In reply to Brett Drinkwater

by Roger Crider -
Brett
I downloaded the windows package from moodle.  then i unzipped it to my usb stick.  I started apache and mysql by clicking on the files unzipped to the stick. 
I dont understand your last sentence, arent the USB and the stick the same thing?
Roger
In reply to Roger Crider

by Brett Drinkwater -
Roger,

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the "Run Moodle on a USB stick", version of Moodle for Windows. 
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_guide_-_Moodle_for_Windows_on_a_USB_Memory_Stick

So, you are trying to get Moodle running on XAMPP on a USB? 
I gave up on that one and had no problem getting Moodle to run on a USB stick using the Webserver ON aStick (WOS) package, as outlined in the link above.  WOS has a little admin panel that makes it easier to setup your database, start and stop apache/mysql etc.

The important thing with this package is to not run the start.exe file until you have the whole package moved to the USB. This is because that start file sets paths etc, based on the Drive Letter for the device it is installed upon.

Hope this does not further confuse issues for you.
In reply to Brett Drinkwater

by Rosemary Leadley -

Hi Brett

I am barging in on this as I am having problems getting Moodle to run from a stick.

Gave up with this a few weeks ago but returned to it again this weeked and getting same problem.

Unzipped the whole package to the usb and ran WOS from the stick first time. Stick is drive F: as recommended.

Two machines XP homeand  XP Pro tried and problem replicates.

MySQL and Apache runs - browser opens but get can't find page - I attach a shot of both the browser page and WOS Control Panel in hope of any ideas you may have?

Any help gratefully received.

Rosemary 

In reply to Rosemary Leadley

by Douglas Bell -

Hi Rosemary

I have tried WOS and Moodle 1.6 but my MySQL database kept shutting down after I started the WOS start.exe file.

I found a better method using Uniform Server which worked right out of the box. It uses version 1.5.4, but I created a new folder/database and installed version 1.6.1+ in the same format as 1.5.4.

You can get all the instructions from:

http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/just_moodlin_around/just_moodlin_around.cfm?wpid=244305

Hope this helps

Douglas

In reply to Douglas Bell

by Rosemary Leadley -

Thanks Douglas.

I think I have misposted - I am trying toget Moodle to run 'on a stick' for demos where Internet not available.

Thanks for your help  - although this looks like an installation from a usb stick - it looks interesting and the instructions very comprehensive and clear.

Rosemary

by Dan Oja -

Hi Rosemary.

I couldn't get Moodle on a stick to work correctly at first either, even with the Flash drive set as F:.

I believe the problem is due to a missing folder in the apache setup.

If you create an empty folder \apache2\logs I believe it will start.

At least that worked for me. big grin

Also, you *must* put the Moodle files/folders in the root directory of the Flash drive, not in a subdirectory. In other words \apache2, \www, and start.exe must be located in the root of F:\, not in a subfolder.

Aside from those minor "gotchas", MoodleOnAStick seems to be working well.

In reply to Dan Oja

by Rosemary Leadley -
Hi Dan

Yippee!

It works ...!!big grin big grin
Many thanks for your help Dan. I have spent a good few hours on this and on  the verge of giving up.

I wouldn't  have known a file missing as I have no experience with web servers etc etc.

In case anyone else needs this - I found the browser still displayed page not found for a little while after starting up WOS - be patient and keep refreshing the browser.

Thanks again

by Gareth Davies -
Hi everyone,

I've managed to get Moodle 1.6.1+ running on a USB stick as well using WOS, but have another problem in that when I start creating a course certain tables in the database corrupt.

Symptoms are:

1. multiple forum icons appear under the topic summary (where the default News forum is placed)  at the top, these can't be deleted; you can't create a forum;
2. trying to create a label, and it won't let you.

From other posts:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=51345
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=50703

this seems to happen on installations other than a USB stick as well.

Have reinstalled the databases a number of times, am running:
Apache 2.2.0
PHP 5.1.2
MySql 5.0.18-nt

Any ideas, I'd be grateful.

In reply to Dan Oja

by Stuart Mealor -

Yes, just noticed this, and can confirm.

There is no \apache2\logs folder (I just downloaded the zip file from http://instructor.metrotech.org/~mcampbell/USBMoodle.zip as of 19th March 07).

Apache cannot run if it can't write logs.  It's a while since I've had to use Windows command line so it took a while to confirm that this was the problem (very little feedback).

Not sure if the standard WOS has the \apache\logs folder already existing?

If so, it's just missing from this zip file, so it shouldn't affect users building MOS the 'long' way.

Stuart

by Dan Oja -

I believe Apache will not start from the MoodleOnAStick installs even with everything in the root directory of a Flash drive assigned drive letter F.

I believe this is due to a missing folder in the apache installation.

I created a folder F:\apache2\logs\ and everything started up correctly.

Try that to see if it works for you. wink

In reply to Dan Oja

Problem installing 1.6 onastick, Windows XP

by barbara nance -

HI

Am having problems laoding moodle onastick, with Apache not running. HAve created an additional folder as discussed earlier but still no joy

Cheers

Be