Allowing guests to vote

Allowing guests to vote

by James Dunn -
Number of replies: 4
Is there a way to make it so guests can vote on the choice module and be restricted by IP address instead of user account, similar to how most polls work? I want to get some survey results from the users who access my site, e.g. What is your gender, what is your interest in this site, etc? Therefore, I need lots of votes to get an accurate sample of my user base. Also, I think it would be frustrating to a first time visitor to have to register just to vote in a poll.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Dunn

Re: Allowing guests to vote

by Brian Gray -

The Choice module probably is not the tool you want to use.  Each Choice activity allows your users to make only a single choice.  They can choose a gender or an age , etc - but only one.

You are describing a survey.  Moodle has two survey-like tools: "Questionnaire" and "Feedback".  Both are third-party tools, and so will have to be installed on your Moodle server.  (Ironically, the built-in "Survey" tool won't help you - it only has several predefined surveys.)

The Questionnaire and Feedback modules will also require that the user be logged in before responding.

I would suggest an external survey tool to conduct the survey.  You can add a link to it on your Moodle pages.

Two such survey tools are phpESP (phpesp.org) and phpSurveyor (phpSurveyor.org).  Both are open source and use PHP and mySql.  (There are also several web-based survey services available.)

I believe that the Questionnaire module is based on phpESP.  I prefer phpSurveyor, but either will do what you want.

Whoever manages your Moodle installation can handle either of these tools.

In reply to Brian Gray

by Steve Hyndman -

The Questionnaire and Feedback modules will also require that the user be logged in before responding.

The Feedback Module by Andreas Grabs does allow guest to respond.

Steve

In reply to James Dunn

by Steve Hyndman -

Give the feedback module a try...it may do what you want. I don't think you can restrict by IP, but you can configure it to allow guests to respond. Here is a link to a sample that is set-up to allow guests to reply.

http://www.kentuckyclassroom.com/ksba/mod/feedback/view.php?id=253

This is actually a very nice module developed by Andreas Grabs...I'm using on a couple Moodle installs. You can get it at the link below.

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=95

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by James Dunn -
The feedback module looks a little too involved for the user. I wanted something quick and easy where a guest could just vote on one question without having to fill out a whole questionaire or go to another page. I guess I'll just have to creat an HTML block and use a 3rd party poll. Thanks for the replies.