Speed

Re: Speed

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 0

I am using autolink from all of about 250 items in a moodle used for a translation project. The glossary is the index of the book. Since the items in the index do not have plurals or inflect I have not check "only complete matches."

In my language courses I would like to use a glossary of about 500 words (still quite small for a language course) but again, I would want to link to incomplete matches for similar reasons.

My cache is set at 10 minutes at the moment. As suggested below I will set the cache to much longer. There are a lot of resources to be wget-ted so I may not atetmpt

I am using a small array (not sure how many, perhaps 2 perhaps 4 machines) of quite powerful 2ghz? Free BSD servers. I can find out the specs but, I think that have what might be called "faster" hardware.

It may not have a php accelerator.
It may not be well tuned towards Mmoodle.

What I am suggesting is that the large glossaries are quite a slow thing to autolink, even with top of the range hardware, so being able to select what you autolink to a large glossary becomes important.

If, however, people are aware that they are about to get an autolinked version of a resource with all the difficult to understand words linked to the glossary, then they would probably be happy to wait a long time for it. If the whole site is slow and they do not have the option of non-autolinked pages then I think it is going to be hard for me to use the glossary. Unless I do wget all the pages in advance of users, as Paul Evans suggests.

But by the way, how does the following site achieve its autolinking?
http://www.rikai.com/

Timothy Takemoto