Administration block on front page does not show Questions in 1.6

Administration block on front page does not show Questions in 1.6

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 5
When I log in to my moodle 1.6 site as admin, the Administration block in course 1 (the front page course) does not have an entry for Questions.  All the other course Administration blocks do.  This is inconvenient because I, as admin, would prefer to maintain my questions directly from the front page without first going into some other course. 

Incidentally, all my questions belong to course 1.  I found this to be a more natural way than publishing to make the questions available to all courses in the site.

Is there a way to add Questions to the top-level Administration block?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Isner

Re: Administration block on front page does not show Questions in 1.6

by Ray Lawrence -
Incidentally, all my questions belong to course 1.  I found this to be a more natural way than publishing to make the questions available to all courses in the site.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, If I add questions to a quiz on the site page thay are not available elsewhere unless I publish them.... also only Admins, or teachers who have been granted access to the site page, would be able to edit them (which may suit your particular needs). Or am I missing something? thoughtful

As a workaround you could use any other course to which you could restrict access for managing your questions - a few more clicks to access this though.

I'm not sure about the logic of not having this option i.e. Questions in the course 1/site Admin block. Worth logging as a feature request?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by John Isner -
Hi Ray,
I created a hidden, empty quiz in course 1 to gain access to the question database through the front page.  As admin, I go through this dummy course to get to Edit questions, Edit Categories, etc.  Yes, you're right: I need to publish the categories so that they can be seen in other courses, but I do not give teachers editing privileges in course 1.  Other teachers can create quizzes, but they have read-only access to the question database, which is how I want it.

If the course 1 Administration block had Questions (like all the other courses do), such workarounds and all the extra clicking wouldn't be necessary.  If course 1 is a course like any other course, why does it have a different Administration block?
John

In reply to John Isner

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi John,

Thanks for that. I thought you'd found a way to achieve this without publishing.

...why does it have a different Administration block?

I don't know, but I expect there was some underlying logic when the decision was made.

Feature request at bug 6058
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by John Isner -
Ray,
Here's a way to go directly to Edit Questions from the front page without going through another course or a dummy quiz.  I learned this trick from Steve Hyndman

http://www.yoursite.com/moodle/question/edit.php?courseid=1&clean=true

In reply to John Isner

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi John,

Thanks for that workaround. A link in the course 1 admin block would be neater though.