Moodle documentation: Is the footer link to Moodle Docs in 1.6 appropriate?

Moodle documentation: Is the footer link to Moodle Docs in 1.6 appropriate?

by Saul Traiger -
Number of replies: 5
By default, in verion 1.6 there seems to be a link to MoodleDocs in the footer of almost every page in a moodle course. But the content of MoodleDocs is really for course authors, not students. I'm worried that my students will click on this link that then have to figure out that this is not documentation for them.  So I've decided to edit the footer.html file in the theme I use to remove the link. This isn't difficult to do, but it seems to me that the decision to make the link to MoodleDocs so pervasive might need to be rethought.  If anyone needs help removing the link from the footer, I'll be happy to explain how I did it.

Saul
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saul Traiger

Re: Moodle documentation: Is the footer link to Moodle Docs in 1.6 appropriate?

by Martín Langhoff -
> If anyone needs help removing the link from the footer,
> I'll be happy to explain how I did it.

There is an easier way: just go to admin>variables and remove the value for 'docsbase' or whatever the setting is for the url of the documentation.

No need to change the code.
In reply to Saul Traiger

by David Scotson -
I was under the impression that the link only appeared for those logged in as teachers and admins for the very reason you mention. Have you tested it loggged in as a student?

Maybe this has changed since I read about that, but if it has then I would suggest changing it back (i.e. making it only appear to teachers and admins) rather than deleting it completely.
In reply to Saul Traiger

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
> But the content of MoodleDocs is really for course authors, not students.

Hi Saul,

Please note that the documentation links only appear for admins and teachers, and not for students.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Saul Traiger -
Thanks, Helen. I should have checked this before getting out the hammer!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alan Cherwinski -
Because "Moodle Docs for this page" continues to appear in the footer even when you utilize "turn student view on" it is confusing for Admins and teachers. I am very glad it can be hidden from learners. My group with low literacy skills would be very confused by the extra link.