When a Quiz is not a quiz...

When a Quiz is not a quiz...

Robert Dickey -
回帖数:4

Hi folks

I've started putting my reading and listening assignments (resource web pages and links to web pages) in Quizzes so that I can ask 1-5 comprehension check questions at the end, and then score these at one or two points (total).  In fact, for some questions I score no points for correct answers (alternatively have scored all answers "right" at 0.2 or so) because I don't want to value "right and wrong" too much, but instead to provide an incentive to do the readings (and listenings).  I also allow multiple retakes, of course!  (Of course someone could just zoom down to the bottom and guess 伤心  I provide varying levels of feedback here too.  So a grade is not the real aim.

My sense is that using Quiz is not an ideal situation.  There are 2-4 reading assignments per week, plus often a video or audio recording (sometimes on my server, sometimes off-site, only occasionally a "moodle file"). I dunno what is happening "under the hood" but suspect I'm making moodle work harder than necessary.  It feels strange writing these as quizzes.  (In fact, transferring some of last year's readings to quiz this year through cut and paste -- it works but seems peculiar.)

And I just don't like labeling these tasks as quizzes!

I've looked at the Activity Locking discussions under Conditional Activity, it doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for, nor does it work very well (and I'm not a server guru, I can't have things going down left and right).  And I don't see that the option for Online Text in Assignments is quite right either - I want a bunch of little true/false, multi-choice, matching, or simple fill in the gap exercises. There is no f2f in this course, I'm really trying to push students to do their readings without penalizing them for poor comprehension (it's an English language learning course!).

Suggestions???

(I'm presently in v1.5.4, will upgrade to 1.6 in January, not before)

Thanks...

回复Robert Dickey

Re: When a Quiz is not a quiz...

Scott Elliott -
Robert,

Have you checked out the lesson module? I think it will do what you are currently doing with quizzes and the name tends to fit your description better!  Here's a link to the Moodle documentation regarding the Lesson Module.

Scott
回复Robert Dickey

Peter Bulmer -
The lesson might be the way to go, but you might want to consider breaking the reading into two parts, the reading itself as a resource, webpage, or link, and the quiz section.
As far as I understand it, this is 'the moodle way' - A learning resource followed by some form of interaction about the resource - be it a forum to talk about the reading with fellow students, or a quiz, or a chat session .....

If you did want to stick with quizzes, but don't like the word quiz, you could try playing the with the language strings (in lang directory in moodle root).
IMO, the word 'quiz' is already pretty innocuous. 'Exam' on the other hand ... 伤心
回复Peter Bulmer

Michael Penney -
A learning resource followed by some form of interaction about the resource - .... a quiz

How is that different from a lesson with content pages followed by question pages微笑?

On the other hand, I really like the way Janne's CMS course format can link a forum directly from a content page, that way the students don't need to go 'out of frame', eg. they get into the content of the resouce, but then in order to respond they have to switch out of learning mode and into computer mode, find the breadcrumb trail (which is not really a breadcrumb trail眨眼, locate the appropriate forum, and then go back into learning mode to respond.

And then if they want to refer to the resource, they have to go back into navigation thinking mode, locate the resource, and so on.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, been re-reading "The Humane Interface"微笑.

回复Michael Penney

Robert Dickey -

Thanks all...

Was this standard in 1.4 (where I learned whatever I've learned)?  We did an unplanned upgrade to 1.5 late in semester, have spent all my time desperately just trying to keep things going (b-a-d upgrade by unknowing sysadm).  Thank Goodness that's Done!

Lesson looks really good, though I'll have to tinker a bit.  The grading options are just what I wanted.

See the value of asking questions?  (even ignorant questions)!

;)