Performance: zip, unzip and du beginner query

Performance: zip, unzip and du beginner query

by Jenny Toller -
Number of replies: 3

In the performance documentation it says:

On a Unix/Linux system, performance can be greatly improved by allowing the webserver to use the system zip/unzip commands (rather than PHP-based zip libraries) - visit Admin/Configure/Variables and enter the path to the relevant executables. (Similarly, filling in the path to du will improve Moodle's speed at listing directory contents.)

I would like to follow this up but, despite extensive searching around in various places for more info, I am still stuck! As I understand it, the 'system zip/unzip commands' use the same utility as when I unzipped Moodle on the web server - am I correct? But I have no idea of the path to it - could anyone give me any idea re where I should start looking and what the file I am looking for might be called? As for 'du' - does this mean 'disk usage'? Again, I would be really grateful for any hints on how to get started with this. (Our web server is a managed server.)

Many thanks for any assistance,

Jenny

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jenny Toller

Re: Performance: zip, unzip and du beginner query

by Richie Foreman -
For most distros, if it is installed on your linux server the zip and unzip programs should be installed in "/usr/bin/zip", and "/usr/bin/unzip".  I'm not at work quite yet, but my mac has "du" installed in the same location "/usr/bin/du".

Also, du will list the how much Disk Usage a single directory is using.  I want to think that it stands for "Directory Usage", but it could be "Disk Usage".  Either way, that's what it does. :D

Hope that's helpful.  If it isnt installed then look in your distro's documentation, and look up how to install new packages.  Feel free to post any questions to this forum, I'm sure I along with several other people would be happy to respond.

Good luck!

--Richie Foreman 
Mesa Public Schools
Mesa, AZ
In reply to Richie Foreman

by Jenny Toller -
Many thanks, Richie - that is very helpful indeed smile

Jenny
In reply to Jenny Toller

by Helio Rocha -