Forum rating not cumulative in grade posting?

Forum rating not cumulative in grade posting?

by Kam Vento -
Number of replies: 8
I have the forum grade set for 100 and have 10 discussion topics. I rate two of the students posts, too two different discussion topics  at 10 each. The gradebook shows 10.

What I'm trying to do is have 10 topics with posts to each worth 10 so the entire forum exercise earns 100.

Anyone know how I can do this? It doesn't seem to be working the way I expect.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kam Vento

Re: Forum rating not cumulative in grade posting?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Forum grades use the mean grade of all the postings for each user (for both numerical and non-numerical scales).  There was a discussion about this some time back (can't find it right now) and I didn't get a good answer to these questions:

1. What criteria are you using to give posts numerical ratings?

2. Does it make sense that a student who posts ten posts worth 1 point should get the same grade as a student who posted one fantastic post worth 10 points?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Bruno Vernier -
I am very firmly in favour of the cumulative marking of forums.

here is my reasoning:

I make forums count for marks in order to encourage participation

if students write very deeply for one post, they do not have to write more than one (or a few) postings

if students write in a shallow way, they will need to post quite a bit more to get their participation mark.

BTW, if a posting is not relevant, I just don't give any marks.

I notice that I use forums less and less because it is too complicated to find all the postings of a user and upgrade them to the new cumulative mark so that the average mark is the cumulative mark.

BTW, if the cumulative marks go over the maximum marks allocated to the forum, I hope it stops cumulating in the markbook, although I'd like to continue acknowledging their contributions via these now meaningless points

by Kam Vento -
Martin
Thanks for the response. I may not be using the forum  as it was originally intended. I have a forum with 10 individual case topics for which each student submits one evaluation.

1.I'm using a 10 point scale to assess the response 1 poor - 10 outstanding.
2. Your right, however it doesn't apply in my case because I'm looking to grade one post for each topic using a ten point scale, with the total for the forum equalling 100. If one post were outstanding one could give the student 100 for that case and they would be done.

I use different points for different sets of exercises, depending on the level of difficulty. 100 for exercise A, 200 for exercise B, 400 for C, and 300 for D. If they earn 90% of the total points they are in the "A" range. By adjusting the points for each category of exercises I have a simple method of weighing the importance of the mix.

I think this is pretty common practice.

BTW I really like the innovation and ease of use of Moodle, just trying to figure an easier way of grading. You know of course your fellow Moodlers are always finding new ways to use this great tool.

Wondering if a seperate grading module which applied the instructor rules or weights to exercises would be worth a thought.

Anyway wishing for a cumlative point system.

Thanks
Kam
In reply to Kam Vento

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I find it interesting that you (Bruno and Kam) have not actually yet mentioned the criteria you use to rate from 1-10... wink

I can see it could be useful to include some measure of quantity as well as quality, especially when trying to encourage certain levels of participation. In the hands of a teacher who is really watching the discussions very carefully and keeping track of posts I suppose it might work.

However, I'm not confident most teachers would use it that way. Higher quantity of posts should not automatically mean higher grades. If students are swamping the discussion with a large amount of poor-quality posts (by whatever criteria you use) then that is usually detrimental to the group as a whole, who only have a limited time to read and respond thoughtfully.

I strongly believe in an educational environment we should be encouraging higher quality posting at all costs - more detailed reading and considered/edited writing, and less of spammy gloss-over texts.

I'm not writing off the idea of using the quantity information somehow, just saying that this needs to be better thought out for the impact it would have on discussions.

by Joyce Smith -
Agree, Martin

I am a 'teacher' but also a student (MBA on line Newcastle GradSchool.com Australia) and as such perhaps am in a postion to 'view' the debate from both sides.
Surely we must not get caught up in 'grades' for 'grades sake' ?
When I first started the 'on-line course' there were quizzes, great for immediate feedback ,assignments to be posted to the 'drop box' for marking and an exam (timed ) at the end of the course .
As the courses have developed , more lecturers seem to have opted for something like 15% of overall 'marks' to be awarded for participation in the discussion forums , based on e.g. the following criteria.

Assessment Criteria
 Demonstrated familiarity with the set reading,
 Evidence of critical reflection,
 Evidence of evaluation and judgement,
 Evidence of the ability to apply knowledge to a practical situation, and
 Demonstrated ability to discuss and/or debate issues.
One can take a 'pass' to a credit for example, with researched and lively debate on the subject matter being added to the 'discussion forums' (I'm referring to Blackboard in this instance as the medium) Could just as easily be ours in Moodle !

Our assignments had to be submitted via the 'drop box' for marking, and a small percentage for 'quizzes'
Plagiarism is a huge problem with on-line courses, and surely at the end of the day , we have to be mindful of this and the possibility that we are being asked to 'grade' someone who may in fact not even be the 'author' of the 'test' whatever.
What would be the end result ? Accreditation worth , not very much !
regards
Joyce

by Kam Vento -
Martin, et al

Regarding the use of a 1-10 scale in grading an assignment;. I'm sure many instructors use different rubrics but with some commonality. For example, I judge cogency, grammar, structure, persuasiveness and other dimensions which may not be explicitly spelled. out. I like your program because of its ease of use and the interaction of the users in finding new ways to work with students online.

I believe a system may be able to encourage or discourage good discourse. But Im not so sure about a systems ability to influence a specific educator (nature vs. nurture argument). Its somewhat like cooking, a good cook can use good ingredients and make a good meal, a bad cook can manage to mess-up even the best steak.smile

kv
In reply to Kam Vento

by Adam Pawelczak -

See thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3054

Try to convince Martin big grin

Best Regards,

Adam Pawełczak

In reply to Adam Pawelczak

by Kam Vento -
Read your previous post. Usually philosophical discussions are difficult to resolve. In a way like a Mac user trying to convince a PC user to switch platforms or vice-versa.

My philosophy is based in part on the concept of performance-based training with established criteria. The student is successful when the task is completed to standard. An outstanding student usually completes more tasks. Everyone is held to the same standard. I let students, within reason, resubmit their assignments until the standard is meet (I consider this practice and development of critical skills.)

If the cumulative counting of points is not  an option, I wonder if we could  just count the  number of posts a student makes to a forum topic?