Banner/Luminis Integration

Banner/Luminis Integration

by Eric Merrill -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't expect many people to know how Luminis works, but I'm hoping there is someone here.

Our university currently uses Banner 7/Luminis/WebCT. We are moving from WebCT to Moodle and I am working on the adapter for Luminis-> Moodle.

We have setup a a php page that Luminis publishes to, and it is subscribed to everything (literally). The problem is, is that only Person evens seem to publish to the page, these Course evens seem to be building up in a queue. We can't find documentation on how the HTTP Clients are supposed to act. Is it supposed to fetch the course data? Does is somehow have to tell Luminis it is ok to send?

If someone knows how this works, know what documents describe it, or another way to do this, that would be great.

Thanks
-Eric
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Merrill

Re: Banner/Luminis Integration

by Owen Stephens -
Hi Eric,

We are a Banner 6, Luminis, and soon-to-be Moodle site. Unfortunately, we haven't got the kind of functionality you describe here, and so I'm not sure I can help.

However, what you are describing sounds like the LDI (Luminis Data Integration) Service. I would think that a search through the documentation for this might give some clue?

It would be useful if you could describe the functionality you are looking for in more detail. We are looking at Luminis/Moodle integration, but so far have been looking first at getting course and user information directly from Banner, assuming that we would later write a Luminis channel to show data back from Moodle into Luminis, and add a CPIP connector for single sign-on.

I'd be very interested in sharing experience etc. as we move forward.

Owen
In reply to Owen Stephens

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We are using the LMB to send update messages from banner to moodle, so we can keep real time sync between the 2 systems.

We actually got the setup we needed, it needs to be consumed from the Sync instead of the LmsSync to get all the messages we wanted.

Now we are just writing a XML parser to take the XML and put it into Moodle.

-eric
In reply to Owen Stephens

by Brian Gibson -
Hi Owen,

I came across your post regarding Banner/Luminis integration on the moodle.org site and in it you mentioned that you were going to at some point attempt doing single sign on from Luminis to Moodle. Did you ever get this to work? I am running into some walls here trying to do this and any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. smile
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Rahim Virani -
Hi Eric,

I am working on a team that will be doing a similar integration, we will be doing a banner hook possibly using PL/SQL or Web Services.  Writing a web service consumer and a provider for automatic enrollment and authentication.

What are you guys up to?
In reply to Rahim Virani

by Mark Pearson -
Rahim,

We are trying to get data in IMS format out of Banner and not succeeding -- the Banner job application ICGORLDI fails to produce meaningful output from apparently sensible inputs. How did this project go for you? Do you have anything you could share?

Cheers

Mark Pearson
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Eric Merrill -
Just in case anyone who is interest is watching this thread, I have posted our first version of this module:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=849
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Greg Simmons -
Hi Eric---I met you at the Moot in Albuquerque, and picked your brain about your integration project (we had lunch together one day). Yes, there are those of us out here who have great interest in this issue, and we're looking closely at what you've posted. More information is always better. We're on the front end of our Banner integration, so this is a hot topic here.

In reply to Eric Merrill

by Matt Stenson -
Does anyone know what happened to this module? The link is no longer active and I can't find it in searches.
In reply to Matt Stenson

by Eric Merrill -
A site admin needs to moderate it, but you can read the latest info and download it from here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=83891

-Eric