Import grades from Excel

Import grades from Excel

by Sindhu R -
Number of replies: 14
If the grades are already entered in Excel sheet along with the roll numbers, is there any method to copy into the moodle data?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sindhu R

Re: Import grades from Excel

by James Dugal -
There was an enhancement to the gradebook module to do this, and I wrote something similar for the assignment module (upload of a comma-separated file perhaps exported from Excel).  Which version of Moodle are you using?

--James
In reply to James Dugal

by Sindhu R -

I'm using version 1.5. I would like to have your program.

Thanks

Sindhu

In reply to Sindhu R

by James Dugal -
Sindhu, see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28969
for Moodle 1.5.x (through 1.5.2, anyhow) assignment module changes zipfiles and comments.  I presently use 1.5.4, and 1.6 in test, and have mods for both these, if you need them...
--James
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Dugal

by Sindhu R -

James,

Can I have them? 

Thanks,

Sindhu

In reply to Sindhu R

by James Dugal -
And, here is the 1.6+ version of my assigment mods to bulk-import grades.
--James
In reply to James Dugal

by Rolf Christoffersen -

Importing scores from Excel is critical need in our university environment with many courses over 100 students.  Are you planning to update the modifications of the Assignment module so it works with Moodle 1.7?  We would very much like to use the roles function in 1.7 but also need to be able to bulk upload scores.
Thanks,
Rolf

In reply to Rolf Christoffersen

by James Dugal -
Rolf, I have just started to work with Moodle 1.7; my changes to the assignment module merged pretty well, and the obvious changes to adapt to 1.7 can be seen in how assignment/submissions.php was changed. Unless you need something immediately, I'll get some testing done and attach the results here. Drop me a personal email if you need something quickly! -- James

by James Dugal -
Rolf, here is the result of porting my Assignment module changes to allow bulk-upload of grades (and comments). This zipfile is for the 1.7beta release and has NOT been exhaustively tested, but it seems to work well so far!
-- James
In reply to James Dugal

by Rolf Christoffersen -

James,
Thank you very much.  I have been testing your modifications using the released version of 1.7 and it works fine so far.  I hope this feature eventually finds it way into the official version of Moodle.  One suggestion, it might be useful to include the student ID in your list of course participants as well as the login.  In our case, the login and student ID are the same but it could diverge at some point in the future.  In the case of scantron exam scores, the student ID would be entered on the scantron sheet and recorded by our scanning software.  One would need to correlate the login to the student ID before uploading the scores and this would make it easier to do.
Thanks again,
Rolf

by Rolf Christoffersen -

James,
I just noticed that your version 1.7 modifications of the assignment module already has my suggestion of having the student ID field in the roster of participants.  That is a great addition and a needed feature for anyone trying to track external scores for large classes.
Thanks,
Rolf 

In reply to James Dugal

by James Dugal -
Rolf, I've updated my participants page modification, to limit the roster display to those having the viewhiddenuserfields capability, since the idnumber and even the username might be considered sensitive data. This seems to fix the problem you reported; what do you think? --James
In reply to James Dugal

by Rolf Christoffersen -

James,
I applied the updated patch for the participants list and it now allows only instructors to see the link to generate a list of names, logins and Student IDs.  We very much appreciate your efforts in modifying the assignment module to allow bulk uploads.
Thanks again,
Rolf